Huhne & Pryce - 8 months each

2»

Comments

• Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    ooermissus wrote:
    It's longer than the maximum sentence for the offence of assaulting a police officer.
    Surely that would depend on the severity of the assault?

As for this case - it IS far more serious than people give it credit for. Perverting the course of justice HAS to be dealt with very seriously as it poses a significant threat to the justice process if allowed to run with minimal punishment. As a minumum it has to be a far more serious than the original offence you are charged with.
    bdu98252 wrote:
    Good on the justice sysem. I hope Hulne gets a good rogering.....
    :roll:
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • ooermissus
    ooermissus Posts: 811
    Assault on a Constable in the execution of his/her duty, contrary to section 89(1) Police Act 1996
    The offence is committed when a person assaults either:

a constable acting in the execution of his or her duty; or
    a person assisting a constable in the execution of his or her duty.

It is a summary only offence, which carries a maximum penalty of six months' imprisonment and/or a fine not exceeding the statutory maximum.

Clearly you could face a more serious charge a bad assault - but this is the standard charge. And it seems to me as much an affront to the justice system to assault a police officer as it is to lie on a form about a driving offence.

Clearly this particular fiddle - which is very common - should be an offence, but I can't see it justifies a prison sentence of this length. Though this is a general point and not directed at this particular case.
  • de_sisti
    de_sisti Posts: 1,283
    ooermissus wrote:
    to assault a police officer .....
    ..can be as simple as touching their arm with your little finger (without apply any force). :shock:
  • Huhne has got what he deserves.
    An arrogant, self-important git who encapsulates everything us mere mortals detest about our so called leaders.

The irony in this sorry saga is that it really was all for nothing. He was on 9 points when he persuaded Mrs H to take his points so he could keep his licence. A month or so afterwards, he was caught using a mobile phone at the wheel, was given 3 points and lost his licence anyway! :lol:

Then he went and ran off with a munter........ :mrgreen:
  • natrix
    natrix Posts: 1,111
    ooermissus wrote:
    It's longer than the maximum sentence for the offence of assaulting a police officer.

Well according to CPS you can bite me and take a chunk out my hand without charge so it doesn't surprise me!

Yes, but you can get away with murder..... (ian Tomlinson, Kevin Gately, Blair Peach etc)
    ~~~~~~Sustrans - Join the Movement~~~~~~
  • redjeepǃ
    redjeepǃ Posts: 531
    Its being viewed with some respect overt here in Ireland. We have a collection of corrupt MP's with extremely low morals and there has been a lot of comment recently that they wouldn't get away with it in the UK.

For instance one independent MP was recently found to have had penalty points removed from his license. His excuse was that he was told to do it by the police and that he's corrupt and the public should basically expect it. Honestly.
  • mamba80
    mamba80 Posts: 5,032
    i think the sentence is ridiculous and just goes to show what a fxxxed up justice system we ve got.
    Crimes against the state are enforced and harshly punished, but against the individual are not.

you can kill a cyclist or anyone really, in almost any type of road "accident" and get far far less, in fact sometimes nothing at all.

Huhne/Price are all the things described of them but they hurt no one but themselves and the cost of jail and curfew will be born by the tax payer.

community service and long driving bans would have be perfectly suitable.
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    Yes but surely his crime was to take the piss out of the laws which would actually protect vulnerable road users.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,930
    mamba80 wrote:
    i think the sentence is ridiculous and just goes to show what a fxxxed up justice system we ve got.
    Crimes against the state are enforced and harshly punished, but against the individual are not.

you can kill a cyclist or anyone really, in almost any type of road "accident" and get far far less, in fact sometimes nothing at all.

Huhne/Price are all the things described of them but they hurt no one but themselves and the cost of jail and curfew will be born by the tax payer.

community service and long driving bans would have be perfectly suitable.

I have often wondered about the wisdom of handing out stiff jail terms in the wake of accidents.
    If it was a true accident there was no intent to harm anyone. Why would sending someone to jail be a reasonable punishment?
  • Trouble is, this is where you get into the definition of an accident - some arguing that there is no such thing, only negligence, dangerous intent, whatever..... Think the theory is to the 'wrongdoer' - all a scary 'can of worms'