Replacing Hybrid with Cyclocross - Whyte Charing Cross

small_bloke
small_bloke Posts: 222
edited March 2013 in Commuting general
I'm not liking my Boardman Hybrid Comp anymore due to the riding position (had it for 5 months).

Want to replace it with Whyte Charring Cross 51cm £1000 cyclocross bike on CycleScheme.

My hybrid is too upright and I've changed, adjusted, extended everything I can to make it fit. Still can't get more power into the upper thighs like my road bikes. I think I'm too used to road bikes where the body is more over the front with drop handlebars.

Will only be using the Whyte Cyclocross for commuting to work with rack, pannier and full mudguards + 28mm tyres. 9 mile commute each way. No off-road terrain.

I'm being put off the Cyclocross gearing on the Whyte. The chainset is 50-34 compact which means I will never use the higher end gearing. The rear cassette is 11-30 but I will need 11-32 because of 10kg pannier and steep hills.

I much prefer the gearing on the Whyte Sterling fast urban hybrid bike (£1000). Chainset is 48-32 compact with 11-32 cassette. However its a flat bar hybrid rather than drop bar so may struggle to get power into the pedals again.

I can test ride the Whyte Charring Cross 51cm as size is in store. However no small size available in Whyte Hybrids at the shop.

Boardman CX not available on CycleScheme as Halfords is exluded.

Just wondering if I should consider any other model of CX bike at sub £1000.

Comments