Wheel/hub offeset... minor techincal alignmenent issue.

weeksy59
weeksy59 Posts: 2,606
edited March 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Right boys... here's the scenario.

I've got a Spearfish.... i built from scratch.

I've got 2 sets of wheels, a pair of Giant S-XC 29 and a pair of Hope Pro2/Crest 29.

When i fit the Hopes and the rear mech is adjusted for hi/lo, then i get all 10 gears.... However, when i then fit the Giants, when i go for the big ring on the rear, it slips over the top and between the spokes/hub. So, i adjust the hi/lo, brining it so the Giant no longer does that, but then the Hopes don't get the largest cog on the rear..

None of this is a major concern per se... but i like things RIGHT....

So, why are they aligned sightly differently, what can i do about it ?

I also notice this on the brakes too, they're about 1mm-1.3mm out when swapping between wheels (rear only) and need a minor caliper alignment when swapping wheels... Again... this is more just curiosity than an actual issue.

So, i bought a 2mm cassette spacer (single speed type) to see if i could use that to move the Hopes cassette out about 2mm to sort the alignment, sadly, this meant the lock-ring didn't work, so that was a no-go. So i was thinking of a 1mm cassette spacer instead ?

Any thoughts appreciated

Comments

• Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Different relative positions.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Different models of hubs have different dimensions. This sounds entirely normal.
  • weeksy59
    supersonic wrote:
    Different models of hubs have different dimensions. This sounds entirely normal.

Spacing the one that sits closest to the inside out by 1mm to bring to equal alignment is OK?
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    set for each as you change.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • weeksy59
    nicklouse wrote:

Ewwwww. Really don't like that idea.... whilst it's not a major inconvenience... it's more than i'd like....
  • styxd
    styxd Posts: 3,234
    Just get a road bike ?
  • nicklouse
    weeksy59 wrote:
    nicklouse wrote:

Ewwwww. Really don't like that idea.... whilst it's not a major inconvenience... it's more than i'd like....
    then run one set of wheels.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • weeksy59
    nicklouse wrote:
    weeksy59 wrote:
    nicklouse wrote:

I like that even less.

May be ridiculous, but i use the Hopes for road/XC stuff running Aspens.
    I use the Giants with Ardents for trailcentre stuff, the logic being that i don't want to bugger up my nice Hopes...
  • weeksy59
    styxd wrote:
    Just get a road bike ?

Bought one... used it 5 times.... sold it.... they're bloody rubbish.
  • styxd
    weeksy59 wrote:
    nicklouse wrote:
    weeksy59 wrote:
    nicklouse wrote:

I like that even less.

I use the Giants with Ardents for trailcentre stuff, the logic being that i don't want to bugger up my nice Hopes...

Trail centre is XC stuff isn't it?

How are you going to "bugger up" your hope wheels by using them at trail centres?
  • weeksy59
    styxd wrote:
    weeksy59 wrote:
    nicklouse wrote:
    weeksy59 wrote:
    nicklouse wrote:

I like that even less.

Trail centre is XC stuff isn't it?

How are you going to "bugger up" your hope wheels by using them at trail centres?

i'm fat :(

In all seriousness, different tyres for different rides... some days i'll ride in the mud... some days i'll just ride on the road... so different rubber for different conditions too
  • styxd
    weeksy59 wrote:
    styxd wrote:
    Just get a road bike ?

Bought one... used it 5 times.... sold it.... they're bloody rubbish.

They work alrite on the road.
  • Chunkers1980
    Or learn to adjust. You will be able to set the barrel to do all the adjustments, and about a turn or 2 of each of the limit screws.
  • weeksy59
    Or learn to adjust. You will be able to set the barrel to do all the adjustments, and about a turn or 2 of each of the limit screws.

I know how to adjust it mate... i'd just rather not do it each and every time i swap. It could quite easily be 4-5 swaps a week deepending on weather/time/availablilty.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Sometimes easier just to swap tyres.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    2 Choices really swap tyres or swap wheels with attendant isues on indexing.

It MAY be possible to tweak the spacers on one or other to move it, but not having looked inside either I've no idea.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Indexing and often brake caliper adjustment
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Chunkers1980
    And chain wear issues.
  • mrmonkfinger
    mrmonkfinger Posts: 1,452
    The answer's obvious. Throw the giant wheels, purchase another set of Hopes.
  • nicklouse
    The answer's obvious. Throw the giant wheels, purchase another set of Hopes.
    still does not mean no adjustment will be needed.

as bearings wear the relative position of the cassette and the disc brake moves.

but as adjusting is easy and takes next to no time and with the practice you will get faster the OP needs to MTFU or change tyres.
  • if its ushing the chain off the top of the cogs on 1st then a shim on the axle should help?? and same on the other side?? ive one on the fron axel on mine, slid over the end on the axel to push the rotor bolts away fromt the fork leg, (non floating rotor),
    Timmo.
    After all, I am Cornish!
    http://cornwallmtb.kk5.org/
    Cotic Soul, The bike of Legends!:wink: Yes, I Am a bike tart!
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... 1#16297481
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    if its pushing the chain off the top of the cogs on 1st then a shim on the axle should help?? and same on the other side??
    Same side shim each side will leave the wheel in the same place it started from!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • er, you sure?? the frame would be the 2 shims width further apart, thus meaning the mech would be furher out as would the caliper,i f its pushing the chain over the top of 1st then by popping a shim in it may be enough to stop it diong so, same with the caliper, may be enough to stop having to adjust them everytime!??!
    Timmo.
    After all, I am Cornish!
  • nicklouse
    and force the frame wider. which will add forces to any pivots (if present)

I have already had my say on this.

and I run 3 sets of wheels on one bike. shim the discs and set up the rear mech.
  • nicklouse
    er, you sure?? the frame would be the 2 shims width further apart, thus meaning the mech would be furher out as would the caliper,i f its pushing the chain over the top of 1st then by popping a shim in it may be enough to stop it diong so, same with the caliper, may be enough to stop having to adjust them everytime!??!
    so then you would have to adjust the caliper each time. not to mention compensate for bearing wear.
  • if the shim on the disc side was enough to move the caliper away Assuming that the caliper was closer to the wheel in the same that the mech was pushing the chain over the top of 1st, then technically it Wouldnt???
    Timmo.
    After all, I am Cornish!
  • nicklouse
    if the shim on the disc side was enough to move the caliper away Assuming that the caliper was closer to the wheel in the same that the mech was pushing the chain over the top of 1st, then technically it Wouldnt???
    no.

cassette position has no relation to disc position.

disc position has a standard. (and that is not standard as it changes as the bearings wear.

so shim your hub. shim your disc as well and then adjust every thing as things wear at different rates which you would need to do any way.

and not forgetting the hub is now over size.

have fun.
  • okay, thanks for clearing that up matey.
    Timmo.
    After all, I am Cornish!