Nunn tablets

Peddle Up!
Peddle Up! Posts: 2,040
edited March 2013 in Road beginners
I like to drop lemon and lime Nunn tablets into my water bottle for bike or gym time but at a fiver for a tube it's getting to be an expensive habit. :? Is it possible to buy these in bulk? Thanks.
Purveyor of "up" :)

Comments

• styxd
    styxd Posts: 3,234
    Just drop water into your water bottle.
  • fludey
    fludey Posts: 384
    Keep an eye out on Group On, I got a great deal on them from there but you have to wait for the offers.

I know I used to get discount on gels from Wiggle when bought in bulk, as in box of 30 rather than the usual 10 at a time.
    Felt AR4
    Planet X Pro Carbon 105
    MTB Kona Kikapu Deluxe with a few upgrades!!
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    styxd wrote:

^ this.

How long are you at the gym that you need to replace electrolytes ? Your diet will be sufficient.

I only bother with them once it gets hot in the summer.
  • Peddle Up!
    Peddle Up! Posts: 2,040
    cougie wrote:
    styxd wrote:

^ this.

How long are you at the gym that you need to replace electrolytes ? Your diet will be sufficient.

I like the taste. :D:D
    Purveyor of "up" :)
  • thefd
    thefd Posts: 1,021
    I agree - I like the taste also. But I also think at the back of my mind if I'm out on a longer ride and am beginning to feel tired then they should be doing some good. I'm sure they probably aren't but in a placebo way I feel they must.
    2017 - Caadx
    2016 - Cervelo R3
    2013 - R872
    2010 - Spesh Tarmac
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    If its just the taste - add some cordial or even a fizzy vitamin c tablet ? They're a lot cheaper than Nuun - £1.25 for 20 tablets.
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    Electrolyte replacement...

60ml lemon juice
    60ml lime juice
    1 teaspoon of salt
    1 whole squeezed orange
    1 litre of water

Keep it in the fridge for when you need it.
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • zx6man
    zx6man Posts: 1,092
    TheFD wrote:
    I agree - I like the taste also. But I also think at the back of my mind if I'm out on a longer ride and am beginning to feel tired then they should be doing some good. I'm sure they probably aren't but in a placebo way I feel they must.

wont do anything for the tired feeling unfortunatley :-)
  • navrig
    navrig Posts: 1,352
    Peddle Up! wrote:
    cougie wrote:
    styxd wrote:

^ this.

I like the taste. :D:D

Robinsons No added sugar diluting juice. Dirt cheap and tastier than Nuun.

Keep Nuuns for when you really need it - long hot cycles or when you get cramps after rides.
  • marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    Navrig wrote:
    Robinsons No added sugar diluting juice. Dirt cheap and tastier than Nuun.

Keep Nuuns for when you really need it - long hot cycles or when you get cramps after rides.

I'd agree.

I am a big proponent of Nuun tablets and use them on long rides in all seasons. One bottle with Nuun, one with water. They have helped solve hydration and cramping issues for me.

But I wouldn't use them in the gym, on the turbo or out doing laps of Richmond Park. They're too expensive for using on short rides and they don't have the benefit.

The taste thing is important - and tasting better than water can encourage you to drink more - but a bit of squash in the bottle does the trick.
  • Frank the tank
    Frank the tank Posts: 6,553
    As others have said only use tablets in the summer when you're on long rides and it's errrrrr hot :shock: some chance. However high5 tablets are cheaper than nunn.
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    As others have said only use tablets in the summer when you're on long rides and it's errrrrr hot :shock: some chance.

Consider them in winter as well. I've managed to dehydrate myself much better in winter than I have ever done in summer!

Cold water, the belief that you're not really sweating (whereas the reality in winter is that you're often sweating quite heavily under the layers) all lead to messing up your drinking on a long winter ride quite easily.
  • Frank the tank
    marcusjb wrote:
    As others have said only use tablets in the summer when you're on long rides and it's errrrrr hot :shock: some chance.

Consider them in winter as well. I've managed to dehydrate myself much better in winter than I have ever done in summer!

Cold water, the belief that you're not really sweating (whereas the reality in winter is that you're often sweating quite heavily under the layers) all lead to messing up your drinking on a long winter ride quite easily.
    Fair point.

Personally I don't get too longer rides in in winter 'cos I suffer like a dog once the cold weather kicks in.
    Tail end Charlie

• smoggysteve
    smoggysteve Posts: 2,909
    You shouldn't take too many of them, you will end up forming a habit.
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    How did we ever manage without gels and drink additives...

Diluted tesco squash goes in my bottles
  • styxd
    styxd Posts: 3,234
    Mikey23 wrote:

Placebos?
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Mikey23 wrote:

Bag of gravel?

My vote is for the pink lemonade Nuuns, taste lovely but at only 60p per water bottle it means that I will just have to wait a little longer before having 4 grand to drop on a Cervelo.
  • Frank the tank
    You shouldn't take too many of them, you will end up forming a habit.
    And some fell on stoney ground fella. :lol:
    Tail end Charlie

• springtide9
    springtide9 Posts: 1,731
    If you are just after the electrolytes to avoid cramp etc, you can get it in tablet form...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Elete-Electro ... 232130c5d2

~£14 for 90 .... and then you can just add squash for taste. They don't dissolve very well, but if you pop one in the second bottle it will be gone by the time you get around to drinking it.

They also do....
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Elete-Electro ... 53f3c85243

And if you use at the gym/turbo when you know you're going to loose a lot of fluid, then just pop one in the bottle and crunch what's left when you get to the end of the bottle! But not sure how much more benefit this is than say a bit of salt in the bottle.

But although still a little expensive, still much cheaper than Nunn or High5
    Simon