Why didn't I think of this?

redvee
redvee Posts: 11,922
edited March 2013 in Commuting general
Rather than buying a frame and swapping bits over I should have gone down this route.

1. Buy a cheap MTB and a set of drop bars
2. Swap the bars over and fit the thumbshifters near the stem and keep the origianl v-brake levers.

ndvd006h.jpg
I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.

Comments

• Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    I want to cry, but it hurts too much

and....

Oh God.

Is that place "the death of bikes"?????

Wheel on its own and a 'thing' with a completely flat back tyre?

Burn them. Burn them with fire.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • redvee
    You should see some of the other bikes in the sheds. On the rack next to where I lock my bike up there has been a FS Giant with XT level kit for the last week, unlocked :shock: Our site is secure but I won't risk leaving my bike unlocked.
  • CanalRider
    CanalRider Posts: 194
    I kept looking at this and I was convinced the bike rack went through the front wheel
    --
    Saw a sign on a restaurant that said Breakfast, any time -- so I ordered French Toast in the Renaissance.
  • jimmypippa
    jimmypippa Posts: 1,712
    redvee wrote:
    Rather than buying a frame and swapping bits over I should have gone down this route.

1. Buy a cheap MTB and a set of drop bars
    2. Swap the bars over and fit the thumbshifters near the stem and keep the origianl v-brake levers.

ndvd006h.jpg

:shock:

Do you mind me cross posting that photo - I know several people who would appreciate it...
  • redvee
    jimmypippa wrote:
    Do you mind me cross posting that photo - I know several people who would appreciate it...

Feel free, if they want some close-ups so they can convert their BSOs just ask :lol:
  • jimmypippa
    redvee wrote:
    jimmypippa wrote:

Feel free, if they want some close-ups so they can convert their BSOs just ask :lol:

I might take you up on that... :D

The group I am thinking of is a bit obsessive about bikes, both road and MTB. One of the guys wrote this review of a very nice bike.

But despite having many bikes, he's not got any like those in your photo.
  • jimmypippa
    I suppose it is one way of making a bike unattractive to thieves
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Is a typical rat bike. Why not.
  • edhornby
    edhornby Posts: 1,780
    just think of the internal pleasure if you go past someone riding a shed like that..... plus you know that a shed like that will cost nowt and will refuse to die regardless of how badly you mistreat it :)
    "I get paid to make other people suffer on my wheel, how good is that"
    --Jens Voight
  • jimmypippa
    edhornby wrote:
    just think of the internal pleasure if you go past someone riding a shed like that..... plus you know that a shed like that will cost nowt and will refuse to die regardless of how badly you mistreat it :)

Are you thinking of a stake through its heart it and some holy water?
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    I quite like it. I wish I'd create something like that rather than keep endlessly looking at old 531 frames.
    Faster than a tent.......