Which brakes

pesky_jones
pesky_jones Posts: 2,890
edited March 2013 in MTB buying advice
Hi all.

On my patriot I currently have a juicy 3 on the front, and what was meant to be a temporary avid elixir 1 on the rear. After some more freerideish style riding opposed to downhill I thought the elixir was doing its job well enough, and left it on.

Now the weathers getting better I'm doing more downhill runs. Granted, it's still pretty muddy and wet on the roots but the rear wheel just locks up at the touch of the brake (I presume this is because of the extreme lack of friction enabling it to just "slide" as such) and doesnt give any control whatsover. I know the obvious answer will be don't use the brakes as much but has anyone had a similar issue thats been improved by better brakes. Cheers

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Typical Avid....very on off and not as modulateable as Shimano (and others).....swap the better Elixir to the front and put a Shimano on the rear, sell the Juicy - sorted!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    Or just sell both avids and get some deores
  • mrmonkfinger
    mrmonkfinger Posts: 1,452
    ...and cue the Avid bashing... 8)

What's your brake setup like? Do you brake with one finger, two fingers? or the whole hand?
  • pesky_jones
    pesky_jones Posts: 2,890
    Cheers, I'll look at some Shimanos if that's the case - any suggestions on a good model from what I've described? I think I may as well get new brakes for both front and back.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    ...and cue the Avid bashing... 8)
    Maybe, I had Juicy3's on for 2 years now on XT/XTR combo, I also tried XX versus XT on a demo day back to back and I speak as I find.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    You will get the same problem with any brake. You need to get your braking out of the way before you hit the roots. You can get away with a bit of braking over roots in the dry if you have a tyre which isn't too knobbly.
    A one finger brake set up will give you better control. But always try to get the braking done before you hit roots, not just because of the grip issue, your braking will also be stopping the suspension working freely. Try riding the same sections off the brakes, you will probably be surprised how much easier it is to ride.
    I'm using Shimano Zee brakes on my DH bike and they are amazingly good brakes, feel identical to the new Saints. I also have a set of the new Deores on my xc bike and they have probably 85% of the power and feel nearly as good but are exceptionally good for the money. I doubt they would handle the heat as well as Saints on long DH tracks like Cwmcarn if you did a full run at race speed.
  • mrmonkfinger
    mrmonkfinger Posts: 1,452
    Maybe, I had Juicy3's on for 2 years now on XT/XTR combo

To be fair, the Juicy line wasn't so hot.