Footbeds

seanorawe
seanorawe Posts: 950
edited March 2013 in Road general
Has anyone used these specific footbeds?

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/bon ... &xid=78888

Thoughts?
Cube Attain SL Disc
Giant CRS 2.0

Comments

• Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    I like the metatarsal button, but without see the bottom of the arch support I can't really speak for their effectiveness. The support doesn't look particularly robust which is not ideal. Big fan of the Specialized footbeds, best cycle-specific drop-ins on the market.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • meesterbond
    meesterbond Posts: 1,240
    Another vote for the Speccy ones... blue for a medium arch works for me.
  • seanorawe
    I have ordered some footbeds from amazon to try them. Not sure of the brand. But I wear Shimano r087 shoes and they have a blue Insole in them already. Do I need to take that out when my footbeds are here.
    Cube Attain SL Disc
    Giant CRS 2.0
  • Grill
    Yes, only one pair of insoles per pair of shoes. Do you have the Amazon link?
  • seanorawe
    Grill wrote:
    Yes, only one pair of insoles per pair of shoes. Do you have the Amazon link?

They were recomended by a friend

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0057NMMEW/? ... B0057NMMEW

I suppose like anything its all subjective
    Cube Attain SL Disc
    Giant CRS 2.0
  • Grill
    The support on those is very week as the design is built around cushioning (unnecessarily). Depending on how heavy a press and the severity of pronation, they might do the job. What sort of pain are you getting and where?
  • racingcondor
    racingcondor Posts: 1,434
    I'm also not convinced by any footbed that uses heat moulding rather than a variable wedge. For me the arch supports in Specialized are in the wrong place but the footbeds in Giro shoes are fine (they use a velcro on, supported arch).

Worth checking those out instead.
  • seanorawe
    Grill wrote:
    The support on those is very week as the design is built around cushioning (unnecessarily). Depending on how heavy a press and the severity of pronation, they might do the job. What sort of pain are you getting and where?

Getting some crampy pain around the toes on the outside of my left foot. If I put my foot on the floor and push down I feel it more. It feels like the shape of the shoe does not support the outside of my toes when trying to flatten my foot
    Cube Attain SL Disc
    Giant CRS 2.0
  • Grill
    This is typically due to a combination the lack of arch support along with the fact that cycling puts a lot of stress on the outside of the foot. If you're getting shooting pains or numbness in your toes then you'll also need support behind the metatarsal head.
  • seanorawe
    Grill wrote:
    This is typically due to a combination the lack of arch support along with the fact that cycling puts a lot of stress on the outside of the foot. If you're getting shooting pains or numbness in your toes then you'll also need support behind the metatarsal head.

So they are no good?
    Cube Attain SL Disc
    Giant CRS 2.0
  • Grill
    Can't say without seeing all the variable first-hand. They'll probably help, but I'd be surprised of it completely eliminated the issue.
  • VTech
    VTech Posts: 4,736
    Im having some fitted to my feet with a bike fit later this month, not sure what make? but he seems to think that this is the best way to do it.
    Living MY dream.
  • seanorawe
    Cheers Grill

I canceled the item. I may aswell try the spesh brand. They are after all for cyclists.
    Cube Attain SL Disc
    Giant CRS 2.0
  • danlikesbikes
    danlikesbikes Posts: 3,898
    seanorawe wrote:
    Cheers Grill

I canceled the item. I may aswell try the spesh brand. They are after all for cyclists.

Probably for the best - in the link the ones do not have any reviews and doing a quick google check does not bring up much about them either. There were some Sorbothane ones further down the page which I have used and a very good, but they are designed to cushion in terms of impact & get used by runners and triathletes and are very good.

As Grill says if your pain is due to your feet not being supported in your shoes then this is another thing & you would be better off saving your money and going for something more specific to your needs.

If your still struggling with fit & getting the support you need from "off the shelf" types of inserts you might do better paying to get a custom set made up which can cost between £60 - £100 but generally most of that is upfront & having duplicates made is a lot cheaper.

Plenty of companies out there offering bespoke orthotics just do a bit of research first.
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • jouxplan
    jouxplan Posts: 147
    These http://www.evanscycles.com/products/bontrager/esoles-arch-kit-ec036071 are the business. You customise the arch support for your feet. I have found them to be extremely good, and have used them for the past three years. Yes, they are expensive, but they are fantastic :D

A similar product is these - https://www.stevehoggbikefitting.com/store/bike-fitting-products/arch-support/

Have a read of this too: http://www.stevehoggbikefitting.com/blog/2013/01/arch-support-esoles-vs-g8s-and-superfeet/

I have very pronated feet, and found the Specialized system to lack adequate support. For many people, the Specialzed system and similar systems provide inadequate / insufficient support.
    Trek Project One Series 6 Madone 2010
    Trek Madone 5.9 2006
    Trek Madone 5.2 2004
    Cougar Custom 1995
    Viscount Aerospace 1982
    Some mountain bikes gathering dust