Problem with rockshox monarch 3.3

BomTennett
BomTennett Posts: 9
edited March 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
hi, I have a boardman mtb pro fs 2009 that I bought, regrettably, from halfords. On a whole I really like the bike however, the rear shock (surprisingly) has never been right. It feels rough through it's travel and is noisy, also it doesn't lock out and sits at around 10% sag even when off the bike. I returned it before as this 10% became 20% and then 40% during an xc ride in Wales. The shock was then sent away by halfords and returned a few weeks later. When I saw the shock again it was still 10% down on travel. I pointed this out to the assistant and he literally just shrugged it off. I left with my shock, not liking the idea of two more weeks without a bike hoping that this would improve after a ride. When refitted to the bike the shock was, and still is as bad as before. Does anyone know what could cause any of this? I'm sure this is not normal from a rockshox shock. Also does anyone know the eye to eye length of this shock? Cheers

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Is the beginning of the travel just completely loose then? IE you lift the bike and it extends? What pressure are you running?
  • BomTennett
    BomTennett Posts: 9
    edited March 2013
    no it dosent fully extend even when you pull it or pump extra pressure in :/ and on that ride i mentioned this got worse and it was 'locked down' at about 40% of the stroke, cheers for the reply
  • supersonic
    How do you know it is sunk down though? Maybe I am misunderstanding.
  • There are marked sag increments on the stantion and it indicates 10% sag all the time.
  • supersonic
    What seting is the rebound on? Try a bit less, see what happens.
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    Sounds like your +ive and -ive chambers arent balancing properly. If halfords refuse to do something about it get a second opinion (TF tuned for example).
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • yeah thats what i think im going to do. Its out of warrenty i think but they should fix it anyway as its always been wrong and i tried getting it sorted within warrenty time
  • supersonic wrote:
    What seting is the rebound on? Try a bit less, see what happens.
    ive tried with several different rebound settings not much changes, except the rebound :/
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Does it fully expand off the frame, that is, is the frame forcing it to 10% sag at full rebound?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • No even when removed it sits at ten percent sag
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    In that case I wonder if it's a custom set up with extra rebound stop added to set the fully rebounded length to match the frame. Does it change if you let all the air out and try and pull it apart?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • im pretty sure its not supposed to be like that because of the time it locked at 40% and its always felt rough as hell
  • supersonic
    Send it away for a service ie TF tuned. Doesn't sound good now have ruled things out.
  • No i thought that i think thats the best option i was hoping someone else had the same problem
  • I have the same bike and thats deffo not right.
    I have about 3mm between the 10% mark and the end of the shock body.