Cheap all-purpose degreaser?

Anonymous
Anonymous Posts: 79,667
edited March 2013 in Road beginners
So having had my pants pulled down by buying some bike specific stuff, just wondering where I can pick up some good, concentrated degreaser for all purpose bike cleaning etc?

So far all I can find is this for 8.99 but seems bike specific and therefore probably inflated prices...

http://www.leisurelakesbikes.com/p/1066 ... -degreaser

Comments

• smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    Parafin. Cheap as chips, just do not cook the chips in it. :-)
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    Petrol, parafin any organic fluid that is lighter than oil or grease.

I se brake cleaner for cleaning hub and headset internals as it evaoporates quickly.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • Anonymous
    Sweet! Can it be diluted?

Also does the smell go away?
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    I just use Swarfega degreaser. 5 litres (highly diluteable) for about £8.00 from B&Q. Lasts me about 3 years of fairly obsessive cleaning!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • big_p
    big_p Posts: 565
    sainsburys finest cheap shite 19p a bottle washing up liquid, works a treat every time. just give your bike a good rinse with the hose when your done.

i can't believe people pay ten quid for bike wash.
  • MartAstur
    MartAstur Posts: 122
    Here in Spain Decathlon sell one that is half the price of others I have seen in bike shops,
  • MattyDeez
    MattyDeez Posts: 54
    I heard washing up liquid has salts in it though. So, isnt that a no go?

I hose the bike first, then I just use babywipes, degreaser** you would use for car engines - for drivetrain and wiping on the rims to get rid of all the grime.

I then GT85 the entire system, comes out clean.

**£3.99 per tin, Gunk Engine Degreaser.
  • PiersHS
    PiersHS Posts: 109
    Jizer, (That is actually it's name).

46176_P
    Forza Zappi's CC
  • Anonymous
    Think I'll go with Rolf's Swarfega. There is a B&Q down the road which is ideal.

Took kit also en route so hubs will be getting stripped, as they are grinding rather badly and I fear are on the way out....
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    It was the jiz thing wasn't it!
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • rolf_f
    smidsy wrote:
    It was the jiz thing wasn't it!

Ultimate eco friendliness - refill it yourself......
  • Peddle Up!
    Peddle Up! Posts: 2,040
    Petrol, parafin any organic fluid that is lighter than oil or grease.

I se brake cleaner for cleaning hub and headset internals as it evaoporates quickly.

I dunno if using petrol is a good idea - it's very flammable stuff. :shock:
    Purveyor of "up" :)
  • Frank the tank
    Frank the tank Posts: 6,553
    White spirit.
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • big_p
    big_p Posts: 565
    i've been washing bikes with washing up liquid for 20 years and never had a problem, muck off is just mild acid, like wheel cleaner for cars and if you dont rinse it from your bike properly, it etches into the aly parts, i've never had washing up liquid do that.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    +1 to the plea not to use petrol. It's OK to stick in your car, but there are far safer things to use as a degreaser.
  • dodgy
    dodgy Posts: 2,890
    Rolf F wrote:
    I just use Swarfega degreaser. 5 litres (highly diluteable) for about £8.00 from B&Q. Lasts me about 3 years of fairly obsessive cleaning!

Dilluted with water, or something else?
  • I use Green Oil products exclusively, and that includes degreaser. Works really well.
  • thefd
    thefd Posts: 1,021
    coriordan wrote:
    Think I'll go with Rolf's Swarfega. There is a B&Q down the road which is ideal.

Took kit also en route so hubs will be getting stripped, as they are grinding rather badly and I fear are on the way out....
    Is this the stuff
    2017 - Caadx
    2016 - Cervelo R3
    2013 - R872
    2010 - Spesh Tarmac
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    I use Green Oil products exclusively, and that includes degreaser. Works really well.

I like the fact that you squeeze it on the chain then go for a 15 minutes ride to make sure it gets into all the important little places, then rinse.
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • rolf_f
    TheFD wrote:
    coriordan wrote:

Is this the stuff

That's the one. TBH, I slightly disapprove of it! The Finish Line degreaser that came with my chain cleaner had the advantage that it could be recycled - leave it in a jar for a few days and the crap settles out leaving clear liquid ready for re-use. This doesn't but it can be diluted many times down (with water) and it does last for ages.

I think the bottom line is that it really doesn't matter what the liquid is so get what's easily obtainable and cheap!
  • Anonymous
    TheFD wrote:
    coriordan wrote:

Is this the stuff

That's the one I'm going for!
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    Is that the same as this: http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... pc&adtype={adtype}&{copy:_$ja}&{ifpla:_$$ja=tsid:37143}{ifdyn:_$$ja=tsid:35588}{ifpe:_$$ja=tsid:37143}
  • thefd
    thefd Posts: 1,021
    Looks like the Halfords one is only for 2 litres.
    2017 - Caadx
    2016 - Cervelo R3
    2013 - R872
    2010 - Spesh Tarmac
  • team47b wrote:
    I use Green Oil products exclusively, and that includes degreaser. Works really well.

I like the fact that you squeeze it on the chain then go for a 15 minutes ride to make sure it gets into all the important little places, then rinse.

Indeed - Very simple. I attack the chain with a stiff brush to get the muck out (might pick up one of those chain cleaners at some point) before rinsing, but it works really well.
  • #david2012
    #david2012 Posts: 275
    How often would / should you degrease? I must admit to just keep adding lube when the drive train sounds like it needs it :? .... I have had my defy since oct and ridden it throughout the winter guess it needs a bit of TLC?
  • MattyDeez
    MattyDeez Posts: 54
    I do it after every long ride, its fine if it's less then an hour and not much crap gets thrown up.
  • #david2012
    #david2012 Posts: 275
    Oops
  • Anonymous
    TBH when it needs it is more than most. I degrease and re-lube every 2-3 weeks and top up lube as required. Depends how bad the conditions are. When its really wet and muddy I'll do it as soon as I get round it it. If its dry then don't bother at all.
  • rolf_f
    I try to keep the chain clean all the time - it runs so much more nicely and probably does a lot of good for drive train longevity. If I'm in a hurry, I'll spin the chain through a chain cleaning device. If I'm in less of a hurry, I'll whip the chain off and put it in a pan of the above degreaser mixed with water and cook it for a bit. It will come up almost like new after that unless you've let it go rusty!

If I'm feeling really kind to the bike, the cassette gets the same treatment and I'll clean the chainrings on the bike with paper towels.

If you take the chain between your fingers, whilst it is on the bike, and twist it sideways between thumb and forefinger, it will make no noise. If it makes a horrible gritty, crunchy noise, then you know it isn't doing the drive train any favours!
  • I've taken to doing it once weekly of late; it just seemed to make sense as I try to clean my bike at the weekend of all of the muck it picks up from commuting. I just replaced my chain with a nice KMC this time (no more overpriced Shimano...), and though I am fortunate in that 5-8 speed chains practically last forever (this one was approaching a year), the old one was an awful mess when it finally gave up. Now my transmission practically purrs nearly all of the time, which makes me happy. I always look forward to my first commute of the week now. ;)