Scott Aspect 30 change of brakes

skybie
skybie Posts: 59
edited March 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Would it be posible to change my V-brakes to disc brakes? Any idea's how much it would cost? Is there any other good upgrades i could do to improve the ride or weight? I am new to cycling so i am learning so any help i will be greatful.
Fiona

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Does the frame, fork and wheels have mounts for disc brakes?
  • skybie
    supersonic wrote:
    Does the frame, fork and wheels have mounts for disc brakes?
    Sorry i don't know, how can i tell?
  • supersonic
    if you have a link tot he exact bike, or the year, I can find out.
  • skybie
    still looking for it, found very other one except my one.
  • supersonic
    You will need new wheels too, and I can't determine if the frame has disc mounts. In a nutshell is not worth it, much better to get a new bike.
  • skybie
    Ok thank you for your patiences and help. I better get looking :)
  • I've just made the same change to an old bike and would concur with the above that it ain't worth it from money point of view. If you did still want to do it you'd need to buy: new wheels and discs, hydraulic brakes, mounts for brakes and mounting bolts. I spent roughy £150 all told on parts from eBay but I needed new gear shifters as well which don't think you would do. Before I made the change I reckon the bike was worth about £150 and is now probably worth £180ish so not a good investment. That said, I'm still pleased I did it because I enjoyed doing it, the bike needed a new wheel anyway and it's now great to ride again.
  • skybie
    Thank's for the advice. Is there anything i could change that would improve the bike like with the weight or ride?
  • If you feel that aspects of your bike are limiting your enjoyment or limiting the kind of riding that you can do, then in my opinion you're better saving your money and putting it towards a new bike. Obviously you can shave grams off by changing bits of minor kit but I'm not sure you'll notice a huge difference. The things which make the big difference are frame, forks, wheels and tyres. No idea what the state of your current tyres is, but you could upgrade here for say £50 - £60 and particularly if your tyres are old then you might get bang for your buck. I think upgrades to frame, forks or wheels would probably be cost prohibitive. Like I say though, I'd save your money towards a new steed.
  • skybie
    Just taken your advice my daughter has a 2006 carrera kraken (i think it's 2006) she has only used it a handful of times. I will have to try it for size but if it's ok she want's 50 pound which i think is a fair price. I would really like to make it look indivdual as it's only 50 pound i can afford to spend a little on it. So apart from the colour which certainly i would like to change any views on anything else that would look good? I would like to change the colour to yellow with bits of black, i have on order a Scott speedster s60 (black/yellow) and had a Honda CBR400 which i had sprayed yellow/white and black, think i have a thing about black/yellow lol :)
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    At £50 your ripping her off........

As for improving it, well have a look at the link in my sig to mine.....
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • skybie
    I started off at 30 she pushed me to 50 lol.
  • skybie
    At £50 your ripping her off........

As for improving it, well have a look at the link in my sig to mine.....

I have just had a look through your bike builds, they are very nice and has given me quite a few ideas.
  • The Rookie
    Cool.....

Locally a good 2006-2009 Kraken goes for about £100-120....

The Frame is not the very best, but it's also far from bad (pretty much on a par with a Specialized Rockhopper and better than a Lardrock as an referance), there is plenty of scope for upgrading as you can see in the Carrera HT thread.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • skybie
    I did have the mens Kraken not sure what year it was but it had a more rounded frame, but i sold it because i was stupid couldn't wait and brought one that was to big for me, otherwise i liked it. My other half still has hers and really likes it.
    My daughters bike sounds like the bike for me as long as it's the right size, i don't really know much about bikes but a few easy upgrades and changes to make it look different with idea's from on here would be good.
    Off topic but we go out on our bikes with our dogs 3 x sbt's we have an attachment where they can run alongside safely, or should i say they can pull like a train if we let them, the brakes often take a hammering.
    All of your treads are good and i am sure they will come in very useful.
  • WindyG
    WindyG Posts: 1,099
    skybie I built up a Scott Aspect 10 from a frame I got off ebay, take a look at mine if you want a few ideas.
  • skybie
    WindyG wrote:
    skybie I built up a Scott Aspect 10 from a frame I got off ebay, take a look at mine if you want a few ideas.
    Very nice, looks sweet. Wish i had the know how to put a bike together from just a frame :( . Like in threads above to change my Aspect 30 to disc's would not be worth it which is a real shame.
    But i certainly can work on the Carrera i have brought a couple of bike maintance books and any tips will be greatfully recieved.
  • WindyG
    All the info you need is on here, or Parktools or youtube vids I wouldn't bother with books they go out of date too quickly. I have an Aspect 50 as well that I did upgrade the wheels and fitted disc brakes to it bridged the gap for a while until I had built the new one and I'll chuck any decent parts on my wife's bike and sell the frame.
  • skybie
    Didn't it cost a lot to change the wheels and putting disc brakes on?
  • WindyG
    About £150 but that was using cheap clarks cable disc brakes and not the best/lightest wheels.
  • supersonic
    Another reason for a new bike is that the fork is the weak link really.
  • WindyG
    Very true I took the fork of mine and it was 2.7kgs! nearly twice the weight of my SID's
  • skybie
    supersonic wrote:
    Another reason for a new bike is that the fork is the weak link really.
    Sorry but what do you mean?
  • supersonic
    The RockShox Dart 2 is very heavy and not the best performer.
  • skybie
    Thank's, there are so many different makes of every part i am trying to get to grips with.
  • skybie
    cyd190468 wrote:
    If the intent of changing the brakes is to improve performance, you might be surprised how well V-brakes work with quality pads fitted.
    What pads would you recommend?
    The reason i wanted disc's was because i thought it might be better as i take our dogs out with an attachment that connects to the bike and i have to use my brakes quite a bit so we are not doing 100mph and with the v-brakes it's starting to wear my rims and is making them sqreach.
    So i thought that disc's might be better, i know this all sounds strange but any thoughts?
  • Perhaps some kind of bungee cord round the dogs' legs to slow them up a bit might be more effective.
  • The Rookie
    skybie wrote:
    Thank's, there are so many different makes of every part i am trying to get to grips with.
    Rockshox sell good forks (e.g. Revelations and Reba) and rotten ones (Darts).......In fact the Darts are very similar to Suntour XC and I'm not convinced they aren't the same forks with different stickers!