numb hands

pe1ter
pe1ter Posts: 169
edited March 2013 in Road beginners
went out on my cannondale badboy after about 8 miles my hands mainly my palms went numb was just wondering if its because im new to cycling will it get better with more mileage

Comments

• team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    could be cos you're new, could be gripping too tight need to relax, could be balance ie too much weight leaning forward saddle needing to move back etc, think you need to give it a couple of weeks to really tell :D

If I had to pick one it would be gripping the bars, try moving your hands into different positions every 5 minutes, take one hand off and shake it etc
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Have you got some padded gloves? Plus, as said, relax your grip.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • thefd
    thefd Posts: 1,021
    As the guys above have said - relax your grip, try not to put too much weight forward, and move your hands into different positions every so often.
    2017 - Caadx
    2016 - Cervelo R3
    2013 - R872
    2010 - Spesh Tarmac
  • All good advice above - the key is to avoid prolonged pressure on any one area so regular changes of grip, relaxing periodically, avoiding gripping too tight and padded (I am a fan of gel) gloves and or bar tape (try the stuff with gel pads underneath like Bar Phat) and - probalby most of all take time to get used to it.

When I started I always had a liteny of aches and pains pretty much all of which have now been replaced by good old muscle fatigue!