buying an mtb and a cyclocross for £2500

everydayimriding
everydayimriding Posts: 26
edited March 2013 in MTB buying advice
Hi

Long time reader but first post; looking for some advice on how to allocate the funds between a cyclocross and an mtb 29er hardtail.
One will be restricted to £1000 as will be under c2w, the other I'll go up to £1500 as will spread over a couple of years on finance.

With the cx I intend to race and would love a crack at the three peaks.
With the MTB I'll be looking at XC mainly on Peak district trails. May do some endurance events too.

So based on my usage, on which should I spend the extra £500?
Appreciate there may be no answer other than "depends whether you want a better quality cx or mtb".
Thought the extra might go further for one type than the other...

Thanks in advance

Comments

• warpcow
    warpcow Posts: 1,448
    Spend £1500 on a CX from On One/Planet X and get something like a Boardman on the c2w.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    What retailers/scheme does your work use for C2W?

Rather crucial to making the decision!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Good point. The scheme allows Evans and a quite a few LBS in the North west area - plenty of stockists of specialized, trek, Cannondale, giant, Whytes, scott.

Boardman's look great but not sure their largest frames are big enough for me at 6'5.

Was thinking of spending the extra on the cx to get a lighter frame.

Cannondale SL trail 2 29er for the mtb and the Caadx Ultegra for cx ??
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Sounds like you won't get a Boardman on the scheme.....
    Sounds like the Money wants to go on the CX bike, and the MTB on the scheme.....can you use Pauls cycles?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.