Changing a tyre

mattitheowl
mattitheowl Posts: 74
edited March 2013 in Road beginners
I came to my bike at lunch time and noticed the rear tyre was totally flat. This is the first time I have had to change a tyre on my road bike so I set to with my levers and new tube.

An hour later, 2 mashed thumbs, a strained back and much MUCH swearing I have managed to do it (but I think I've pinched the tube and punctured it).

So my question is this, what is the best way to change a punctured tube? I watched a few videos and the guys just flicked the tyres over the rims and job done. I couldn't get the last 3 inches anywhere near over the rim. Is this down to my tyres or is it just THAT hard?

Comments

• It's all about technique

this video shows how to fit a pig of a tyre (Marathon plus) without using any tools. I have these tyres and I need a lever to get them off, but can just about replicate what this guy does!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-XUFVrl0 ... r_embedded

The secret is to keep working the bead of the tyre into the well of the rim to create slack
  • Cheers mate. I think I wasn't doing the "working the bead" bit. I think I might get some more practice later on though as I don't think this tube will be intact.

I can't feel my thumbs though.
  • smoggysteve
    smoggysteve Posts: 2,909
    I think I might get some more practice later on .

Yup, I can guarantee that!! lots and lots of practice.
  • I think I might get some more practice later on .

Yup, I can guarantee that!! lots and lots of practice.
    I meant in about an hour! :lol:
  • Davdandy
    Davdandy Posts: 571
    Thats a great tip,cheers.I struggled fitting my Continentals last year,i never realised about the bead in the rim tip.
    Cannondale CAAD 8 105
    Rockrider 8.1
  • smoggysteve
    smoggysteve Posts: 2,909
    Not had to change a beaded tyre in ages, Only use folding as I hate trying to get the bead in without losing a digit, or my temper or will to live.
  • Not had to change a beaded tyre in ages, Only use folding as I hate trying to get the bead in without losing a digit, or my temper or will to live.

So remedial question number one. Will a folding tyre fit on the same wheels with the same inners? And how do they hold onto the rim if they don't have the bead?
  • Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    they do have a bead its just taht its 'broken' into smaller sections - the ones i've used have been harder to get on than beaded tyres - even though I've just ordered 2 new folding ones

One thing I do is always take off the tyre on the same side - that way the bead will have more flex, and to wear it in fit a tyre with out the tube and remove it a few times.
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Not had to change a beaded tyre in ages, Only use folding as I hate trying to get the bead in without losing a digit, or my temper or will to live.

So remedial question number one. Will a folding tyre fit on the same wheels with the same inners? And how do they hold onto the rim if they don't have the bead?

They do have a bead but it's kevlar rather than wire, so it folds. makes them lighter but also dearer.