Campagnello group set choice!

Gaz7777gaz
Gaz7777gaz Posts: 18
edited March 2013 in Road beginners
Hi again I have been building a bike on Ribble and have picked centaur,but my question is would I know the difference between that and veloce ?i have mirage at present.cheers

Comments

• ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    Sure, it is written on it... One says Centaur, the other says Veloce
    left the forum March 2023
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    I think ugo is trying to say better to save your money. The differences are liable to be small, if noticeable to you at all.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • ugo.santalucia
    smidsy wrote:
    I think ugo is trying to say better to save your money. The differences are liable to be small, if noticeable to you at all.

What I am trying to say is that the guy should really bunch up all his questions in one single thread, or next thing he will be asking which bottle cage and which inner tube he should go for... Each one in a different thread.

To answer the question... They are the same thing, there is no difference between the two group sets... Pick the one of the colour you like... It all comes Down to that these days... :wink:
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    To answer the question... They are the same thing, there is no difference between the two group sets... Pick the one of the colour you like... It all comes Down to that these days... :wink:

Oh, I don't know - you get the carbon levers with Centaur - a little warmer on your fingers! :lol:
    Faster than a tent.......
  • ugo.santalucia
    Rolf F wrote:

Oh, I don't know - you get the carbon levers with Centaur - a little warmer on your fingers! :lol:

In our days we did, now you get black alloy levers... I suppose black is already an upgrade in their books... :wink:
  • pride4ever
    pride4ever Posts: 510
    Personally I'd save the money and spend it on something more worthwhile.
    the deeper the section the deeper the pleasure.
  • pride4ever wrote:
    Personally I'd save the money and spend it on something more worthwhile.

Absolutely agree. I'd spend it on a hooker too
    Wilier Cento Uno SR 2013 in Fluro Yellow
    Cannondale Caad10 2014 in BLACK!!
  • rolf_f
    Rolf F wrote:

In our days we did, now you get black alloy levers... I suppose black is already an upgrade in their books... :wink:

But, but, but......black alloy is Veloce :cry::lol:

It gets worse with EPS. There Athena EPS looks like Veloce. It's damn confusing - you pay Super Record money and you get something that looks like Veloce! :lol:
  • thefd
    thefd Posts: 1,021
    smidsy wrote:

What I am trying to say is that the guy should really bunch up all his questions in one single thread, or next thing he will be asking which bottle cage and which inner tube he should go for... Each one in a different thread.
    I agree with you on one level Ugo - but go easy on the guy. This is the beginners thread after all. Gaz - just ask whatever you want to.
    2017 - Caadx
    2016 - Cervelo R3
    2013 - R872
    2010 - Spesh Tarmac
  • rolf_f
    TheFD wrote:
    smidsy wrote:

I agree with you on one level Ugo - but go easy on the guy. This is the beginners thread after all. Gaz - just ask whatever you want to.

Yep, lets take it one step at a time and just hope his next thread doesn't have any exclamation marks in the title :lol:
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    Being able to spell the product name would be a good start, let alone exclamations.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • thegibdog
    thegibdog Posts: 2,106
    Rolf F wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:
    But, but, but......black alloy is Veloce :cry::lol:

It gets worse with EPS. There Athena EPS looks like Veloce. It's damn confusing - you pay Super Record money and you get something that looks like Veloce! :lol:
    Whatever happened to Mirage with its plastic brake levers?!
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    smidsy wrote:

unnecessarily harsh imo, he's asking for advice and you are just trying to be funny.
  • elderone
    elderone Posts: 1,410
    giant man wrote:
    smidsy wrote:

unnecessarily harsh imo, he's asking for advice and you are just trying to be funny.
    ^^^^this.
    I,ve said before,its getting to a point where beginners are afraid to ask questions because of the ridicule from smart arse members with a god complex.
    If you dont like what people ask,dont reply,it,s not rocket science.Also you people could have offered a sensible answer in the time it took to take the piss,ffs does it matter if he spelt it wrong,you got the idea.
    Dulce et decorum est Pro patria mori
  • ugo.santalucia
    elderone wrote:
    giant man wrote:
    smidsy wrote:

^^^^this.
    I,ve said before,its getting to a point where beginners are afraid to ask questions because of the ridicule from smart ars* members with a god complex.
    If you dont like what people ask,dont reply,it,s not rocket science.Also you people could have offered a sensible answer in the time it took to take the wee-wee,ffs does it matter if he spelt it wrong,you got the idea.

Yeah, cane me, I'm a bad boy... :wink:

No, I don't think it's getting to that point...
    The OP has opened three threads within a few minutes asking which wheels? Which tyres? and which groupset? There is no limit to how many threads one can open as the forum is not moderated and certainly newcomers are not shy of questions... I don't know where the idea of them being timid and inhibited comes from... however, opening a thread for every question that comes to mind is not a good use of the forum, as most of the information is already available, by simply using the FAQ function or the search engine or even just by browsing the internet. I have written a piece about cassettes compatibility, as Nicklouse asked me to, it is in the FAQ section of the Workshop, has it stopped people asking the same questions over and over? Of course not...
    Most of the questions could have an inequivocable answer by the simple use of Google.
    Goole tell us that the word "MORE" is 7 times more important than the word "LESS".. Google is a goldmine of information!

A better use of the forum would have been to ask for advice on how to kit his Ribble bike, for instance. Nevertheless, I have provided valid information in two of his three threads, being USEFUL, rather than HARSH.

Moving away from the specific case,
    There a number of people who only ask questions, often too many to be taken seriously, others who only want to make conversation, others spend time giving advice, others like me do a bit of both. Those who give advice i.e. Monty Dog, to name one, but there are many, are an ASSET for the forum, those who just make conversation and never say anything remotely informative are clearly a LIABILITY... typically they come, they post 20 times per day for 3 months and then they go somewhere else. Addressing people towards a CORRECT use of the forum is not "being harsh" and given this is a very useful and sought after place to be, I don't think there is a necessity to nurture new members until they grow to full adult users... it's just about using the tool sensibly. It's more FIRM than HARSH, to preserve the purpose of the tool.
    If you go to your GP, you don't go three times in one afternoon for different issues, you try to bunch up the problems in one package of issues which probably have a common root... like: how to dress up a bike? My GP wouldn't have a clue.
    The risk of inappropriate use of the forum is in that it can become a totally uninformative place where people chat, argue and experiment new acronyms, like other similar forums are... those who have lost the ASSETS and have only the LIABILITIES left, where all you can read are LOL and FFS and various yellow faces...

Boy, this is a long one...!
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    I have Mirage on one bike (a bit "agricultural" - very positive clunk when shifting) and Centaur on my best bike (significantly smoother). My Centaur derailleurs are 2008 I think and arguably a lot better than current Centaur. I'm guessing Veloce is more like my Mirage than my Centaur, and sounds like new Centaur is pretty much the same as Veloce. You'd probably be best off going Veloce, or saving up for Athena.
  • muzzan
    muzzan Posts: 203
    I think the point surely is that its fair enough to point out that questions may have been answered elsewhere & that there could be better ways for a newbie to go about things.... but the trick is to do it in a friendly & welcoming way rather than coming off like a arrogant smart a**e. Christ almighty, its supposed to be fun!
  • exlaser
    exlaser Posts: 266
    edited March 2013
    elderone wrote:
    giant man wrote:
    smidsy wrote:

^^^^this.
    I,ve said before,its getting to a point where beginners are afraid to ask questions because of the ridicule from smart ars* members with a god complex.
    If you dont like what people ask,dont reply,it,s not rocket science.Also you people could have offered a sensible answer in the time it took to take the wee-wee,ffs does it matter if he spelt it wrong,you got the idea.

The OP has opened three threads within a few minutes asking which wheels? Which tyres? and which groupset? There is no limit to how many threads one can open as the forum is not moderated and certainly newcomers are not shy of questions... I don't know where the idea of them being timid and inhibited comes from... however, opening a thread for every question that comes to mind is not a good use of the forum, as most of the information is already available, by simply using the FAQ function or the search engine or even just by browsing the internet. I have written a piece about cassettes compatibility, as Nicklouse asked me to, it is in the FAQ section of the Workshop, has it stopped people asking the same questions over and over? Of course not...
    Most of the questions could have an inequivocable answer by the simple use of Google.
    Goole tell us that the word "MORE" is 7 times more important than the word "LESS".. Google is a goldmine of information!

A better use of the forum would have been to ask for advice on how to kit his Ribble bike, for instance. Nevertheless, I have provided valid information in two of his three threads, being USEFUL, rather than HARSH.

There a number of people who only ask questions, often too many to be taken seriously, others who only want to make conversation, others spend time giving advice, others like me do a bit of both. Those who give advice i.e. Monty Dog, to name one, but there are many, are an ASSET for the forum, those who just make conversation and never say anything remotely informative are clearly a LIABILITY... typically they come, they post 20 times per day for 3 months and then they go somewhere else. Addressing people towards a CORRECT use of the forum is not "being harsh" and given this is a very useful and sought after place to be, I don't think there is a necessity to nurture new members until they grow to full adult users... it's just about using the tool sensibly. It's more FIRM than HARSH, to preserve the purpose of the tool.
    If you go to your GP, you don't go three times in one afternoon for different issues, you try to bunch up the problems in one package of issues which probably have a common root... like: how to dress up a bike? My GP wouldn't have a clue.
    The risk of inappropriate use of the forum is in that it can become a totally uninformative place where people chat, argue and experiment new acronyms, like other similar forums are... those who have lost the ASSETS and have only the LIABILITIES left, where all you can read are LOL and FFS and various yellow faces...

has someone upset you in the shop today?
    normally you give good well thought advice, but that does not give you the right to tell someone what they can and cannot post.
    the op asked a beginners question, in the beginners section of the forum. where is the problem?
    its a forum, there are good and bad posts. if you dont like a post, dont answer it!
    Van Nicholas Ventus
    Rose Xeon RS
  • elderone wrote:
    giant man wrote:
    smidsy wrote:

^^^^this.

It's said beginners on the tin that's why I asked questions because I am a newbie to cycling .so I am sorry for blocking up you forum with crap questions.i just wanted different people's opinion to help me make my choice .i think you need to get a life.
  • hipshot
    hipshot Posts: 371
    elderone wrote:
    giant man wrote:
    smidsy wrote:

^^^^this.

Wow. I enjoy reading your posts normally, but perhaps you should get away from the keyboard for a bit.
  • exlaser
    exlaser Posts: 266
    +1

cut the newbie some slack.
    he only asked a beginners question in the beginners section after all.
    dont we want him to get to love cycling and all its funny ways, the way we all do?
    Van Nicholas Ventus
    Rose Xeon RS