Bottom Bracket Help (yep another one!)

Cogsy1976
Cogsy1976 Posts: 143
edited March 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi
I have just bought an on-one inbred frame and intend on swapping all of the parts that I can from my Cube Hardtail however Im a bit confused on the Bottom Bracket! I know the shell size is 68 which is the same as the Octalink BB I had on the cube. However the axle length is too long at 123mm and I need 113mm.

My question is can I just buy a shorter BB and still use this with the chainset? or would I need to buy a whole new chainset that is that length? its a Shimano octalink one, I was going to completely change the groupset but to keep costs down I think I would like to use as much as I can from the old frame (which is only a few months old)

Sorry if its a stupid question!!

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    It will fit. Can't comment on the axle length.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Cogsy1976 wrote:
    Hi
    However the axle length is too long at 123mm and I need 113mm.
    Shorter are available, but what makes you think you need a 113mm?

Axle width required is determined by the chainline required and the crankset, as you have the same rear wheel, you'll almost certainly want pretty much the same chainline, so your current cranks and BB will almost certainly be fine if they were working before!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Cogsy1976
    I emailed on-one who did say that it was prob too long but does depend on the crankset.
  • The Rookie
    Measure your current chainline..... 47.5 and 50mm are 'most common'.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Cogsy1976
    Its too late for that as I have stripped the bike lol, I will just try it and see.
    Cheers for your help
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Cogsy1976 wrote:
    I emailed on-one who did say that it was prob too long but does depend on the crankset.
    so you dont want to change anything other than the frame?

then your current BB and cranks will be fine.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • The Rookie
    Cogsy1976 wrote:
    Its too late for that as I have stripped the bike lol,
    So you can't measure from the fixed face on the driveseide flange where it buts to the BB shell?

With Nick, unless your old bike was wrong, the new one will be right, and no more wrong!
  • Cogsy1976
    Yeah basically I have kept the crankset, cassette, shifters, front mech (although will have to change this as the diameter is smaller) and the rear mech.

Was going to upgrade it all but thought it was pointless as only 3 months old and a waste of money.

Cheers for your help guys I thought it would be different on a different frame
  • The Rookie
    Nope.......well it can be, but not in this case.
  • mrmonkfinger
    mrmonkfinger Posts: 1,452
    Cogsy1976 wrote:
    front mech (although will have to change this as the diameter is smaller)

you can get adaptors (if your old tube was big and new one is small)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Shimano-Front ... 51a74c3e93