Adjusting a BB90 Axle Shell

M Velo
M Velo Posts: 79
edited November 2013 in Workshop
Hi,

I wanted to service my Madone BB90 bearings with some new grease. So I first Re-greased the drive side bearing but then when I wanted to remove non drive side bearing with a park tool BBT 90.3 - I found that the Axle shell was way to close(Around 3mm I guess) to the bearing and now I am finding it difficult to remove the non drive side Bearing.

Any Idea how can I get this problem solved?
Custom build Trek MTB
Madone 6.9 => Madone 7series

Comments

• jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    Are you following this?
    http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-hel ... et-service

With my press fit BB30 , I tap out the old bearings with either the BB30 removal tool or a bit of dowelling.
    To do this though so as not to damage the frame , I will lay the frame horizontal so that I can be really careful removing and then inserting and pressing new bearings.
    I wouldn't reinstate bearings that have been removed previously - no matter how careful you try to be, there is always going to some 'damage'. It is not as though new bearings cost a great deal.
  • M Velo
    Hi,

I had already seen that link before. The problem is that the Axel shell is way to close to the non drive side bearing, so the Park tool BBT90.3 just dosen't get the right grip over the bearing.
    Custom build Trek MTB
  • I've got a Madone and I've had the same issue. It's not so much the BB shell as just the tool itself. If you pop the remover in, and then wedge something in from the other side to open up the "splines?" of the tool, it should get a better purchase on the bearing.
  • M Velo
    Will have to try that out.
    Custom build Trek MTB
  • M Velo
    Update

Solved the problem with the same tool. But it is surely tricky. :)
    Custom build Trek MTB