Tyre selection!

Gaz7777gaz
Gaz7777gaz Posts: 18
edited March 2013 in Road beginners
Hi looking at putting a bike together on Ribble bike builder .i am thinking of putting campagnello khamsin,s over vento s but I am struggling with tyre selection what is meant by folding tyre? And can anybody suggest a decent tyre for me thanks .

Comments

• team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    Folding tyres don't have a steel belt in the bead of the tyre they use for example kevlar strands, so tyre is lighter by approx 100 grams per tyre, I use ultremo zx folding tyres for example and they are only 192 grams weight per tyre.
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • Gizmodo
    Gizmodo Posts: 1,928
    Gaz7777gaz wrote:
    Hi looking at putting a bike together on Ribble bike builder .i am thinking of putting campagnello khamsin,s over vento s but I am struggling with tyre selection what is meant by folding tyre? And can anybody suggest a decent tyre for me thanks .
    This has been covered a million times before, click on "Seach" in the blue bar above and read some previous discussions such as New tires, Best tires, New Tire ?, Which tires, Conti GP Force/Attack or GP4000s?, tyres, Race Tyres, Budget tyres

Tyre choice all depends on what kind of riding you are going to do, racing, commuting, training, club runs, rough tracks, smooth roads etc. The most popular general all round road tire on the forum seems to be the Continental GP 4 Seasons, and for light, fast tires the Schwalbe Ultremo ZX - but everyone has their own favourite.

The difference between folding clinchers and conventional clinchers is in the bead; a folder has a Kevlar bead, allowing it to be folded whereas a conventional tyre has a steel wire bead that can't be folded (or you'll put a permanent kink in it). Both types fit the same wheels.

Tubular tyres (or tubs) are completely different and generally need specific wheels.
  • Gizmodo wrote:
    Gaz7777gaz wrote:
    This has been covered a million times before, click on "Seach" in the blue bar above and read some previous discussions such as New tires, Best tires, New Tire ?, Which tires, Conti GP Force/Attack or GP4000s?, tyres, Race Tyres, Budget tyres

Tyre choice all depends on what kind of riding you are going to do, racing, commuting, training, club runs, rough tracks, smooth roads etc. The most popular general all round road tire on the forum seems to be the Continental GP 4 Seasons, and for light, fast tires the Schwalbe Ultremo ZX - but everyone has their own favourite.

The difference between folding clinchers and conventional clinchers is in the bead; a folder has a Kevlar bead, allowing it to be folded whereas a conventional tyre has a steel wire bead that can't be folded (or you'll put a permanent kink in it). Both types fit the same wheels.

Tubular tyres (or tubs) are completely different and generally need specific wheels.

Now that is a top quality answer!
  • Gizmodo
    Gizmodo Posts: 1,928
    Gizmodo wrote:
    Gaz7777gaz wrote:

Now that is a top quality answer!
    Aw-shucks, ta very much :oops: