What did I miss?

Pokerface
Pokerface Posts: 7,960
edited March 2013 in Pro race
Just noticed a locked thread about me...

Have I offended someone somehow? Despite not actually posting here any more!?

What's occurring!?

If anyone has an issue with me, feel free to contact me directly. Or come ride with me. No keyboard warrior here! :lol:

Comments

• TimB34
    TimB34 Posts: 316
    There were (or still are I haven't looked) a couple of semi-anonymous people taking very cheap shots at you.

It just came across as petty jealousy from people who have achieved nothing and somehow resent your success. I suspect that this thread may go the same way.

BTW As someone who only knows you through your posting here I think it's a pity that you don't post here any more. Your comments were usually interesting and your point of view as someone who competes at an international level added a lot to the level of information and debate around here. If you have deliberately withdrawn due to stuff like I've described above then it's even more of a shame.

All the best.
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 22,089
    Perhaps they just missed you and wanted to entice you back?
  • petemadoc
    petemadoc Posts: 2,331
    TimB34 wrote:

BTW As someone who only knows you through your posting here I think it's a pity that you don't post here any more. Your comments were usually interesting and your point of view as someone who competes at an international level added a lot to the level of information and debate around here. If you have deliberately withdrawn due to stuff like I've described above then it's even more of a shame.

All the best.

+1
  • Pokerface
    Was it something to do with me chasing up sponsors?

I don't post because I'm far too opinionated and it's too easy for me to get in trouble for the things I say. I have a small obligation now to try and be a role model. That's hard to do when you're slagging off folks or getting into flame wars with trolls!

I do spend a LOT of time on Twitter instead. Less trolling there :)

I miss it here but can't be doing with people who just want to take shots at you all the time.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    Pokerface wrote:
    Just noticed a locked thread about me...

Have I offended someone somehow? Despite not actually posting here any more!?

As the OP I asked for it to be locked.

The thread had been resurrected by a troll using several sock puppet accounts. Why, I don't know, I don't understand what goes through these people's minds, but better to lock it before it got really stupid.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Richmond Racer
    Richmond Racer Posts: 8,561
    Pokerface wrote:

I don't post because I'm far too opinionated and it's too easy for me to get in trouble for the things I say. I have a small obligation now to try and be a role model. That's hard to do when you're slagging off folks or getting into flame wars with trolls!

I miss it here but can't be doing with people who just want to take shots at you all the time.

Trolls are losers who have no relevance in their own sad little lives. I've only been posting here for a year but I'd enjoyed it when you have posted on the odd occasion. I follow you on Twitter and enjoy what you put out there too.

Best of luck with the rides coming up like the one with Dan Martin in May.
  • Pokerface
    On a Pro Race note (as this is the Pro Race forum), I spent a fair amount of time over the winter in Majorca training. And came across a LOT if Pro riders. Chatted to some in the hotel but mostly seen them out on the roads.

You get a different perspective I think once you've watched them whiz past you on a climb when you're at your limit and they are doing multiple repeats!

Was even on a flight back with Dave Brailsford but for the life of me couldn't think what to ask!

Been the best winter of training ever and looking forward to a good year. The main goal is to retain rainbow jersey at end of August. And doing a couple of charity rides as well to try and help out a few people.

Most notably, a 4-day event in the Alps where I'm leading a team of riders. A lot of former Pros will also be team leaders (and even some current ones).

And watching every Pro race on TV that I can!
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,160
    Pokerface wrote:
    The main goal is to retain rainbow jersey at end of August. And doing a couple of charity rides as well to try and help out a few people.
    Most notably, a 4-day event in the Alps where I'm leading a team of riders. A lot of former Pros will also be team leaders (and even some current ones).

Good luck with all of that.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,174
    Yeah, there were 3 posters who all signed up about the same time in 2011 with low post counts. One put up a snide comment on here and on another where he said that you wouldn't know about drug testing as you have to beg, borrow or steal kit, his mate appears like Smithers to Mr Burns with a :lol: after each post. Same guy as was moaning about you looking for sponsorship before. The third came out of the woodwork with his first ever post after being a member for nearly 2 years so I guess you are more interesting than Contador being banned, Armstrong finally getting done, the first British Tour winner and the London 2012 gold rush, none of which drew that first post out of him!
  • Pokerface
    Ah well... life's easy for riders when they are Pros and have entire marketing teams behind them drumming up sponsorship deals!

However, I do NOT have to beg or borrow equipment. I have the very best equipment in the world. The trick? I pay for it myself! I get deals on some stuff and very occasionally get stuff for free. But for the most part - I buy my stuff like anyone else. Explains why I'm perpetually broke.

As for drug-testing - I'm in the Whereabouts program just like every other Pro rider out there. I have to account for where I am all the time and the testers randomly show up to test me when they decide it's time. I even got a knock on my door at my hotel in Majorca on a recent trip!

Must have been a slow news day if someone decided to have a pop at me in my absence!
  • Pokerface wrote:

Following you on Twitter now. Yes, there's less trolling there, but then there's less everything there - only so much you can do in 140 characters. So I hope you'll still drop by here from time to time.
    I have a policy of only posting comment on the internet under my real name. This is to moderate my natural instinct to flame your fatuous, ill-informed, irrational, credulous, bigoted, semi-literate opinions to carbon, you knuckle-dragging f***wits.