Specialized sit bone measuring: accurate?

jonny_trousers
jonny_trousers Posts: 3,588
edited March 2013 in Road general
A while ago, without any intention of buying a new Specialized saddle, I popped into the Covent Garden Concept Store and asked to have my sit bones measured. I was on a 130mm Romin at the time and was told I should probably be on a 155, which surprised me. Having faffed with a Selle Italia, followed by an ISM Adamo, I'm back on the Romin and it feels like coming home. The problem is I'm now wondering if I ought to heed the earlier advice, but 155mm seems like a massive leap when the 130 feels so good.

Anyone found Spesh's advice to be flawed?

Cheers

Comments

• ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,301
    So let me see... You get in a shop in Soho and ask them to measure your axse....

I am not sure where this is going Johnny... :lol:
    left the forum March 2023
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    Go with what's comfortable. Like most tools in cycling it boils down to "best guess tech" with a sizable margin of error.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • jonny_trousers
    So let me see... You get in a shop in Soho and ask them to measure your axse....

You're being silly Ugo! Next you'll be telling me it wasn't perfectly normal for me to strip down and have my cheeks smeared in chamois cream prior to having my arse measured!
  • danlikesbikes
    danlikesbikes Posts: 3,898

You're being silly Ugo! Next you'll be telling me it wasn't perfectly normal for me to strip down and have my cheeks smeared in chamois cream prior to having my ars* measured!

Sounds OK to me, but I'd be worried it they asked which way your dressed left or right :D
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    Saddles are so much more than just width.. trial and error is the key to finding the right saddle. and you should be able to get hold of a tester saddle from a decent specialized shop?

I'm delighted with my 143mm Romin though... such a brilliant saddle.
  • jonny_trousers
    Saddles are so much more than just width.. trial and error is the key to finding the right saddle. and you should be able to get hold of a tester saddle from a decent specialized shop?

I'm delighted with my 143mm Romin though... such a brilliant saddle.

Yeah, trial and error is the answer. I'll ask at the Specialized store if they do testers. The 130mm I have now feels good, but my gut tells me 143mm would be better. Really can't see me needing 155, but you never know...