Cannondale Caad8 6 or Bianchi Via Nirone 7

toonsta
toonsta Posts: 4
edited March 2013 in Road buying advice
Hi,

After years of mountain biking I'm going to buy my first road bike. After some orientation over the last couple of days I made a shortlist of two bikes:

Cannondale Caad8 6 Tiagra
Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Tiagra

Both affordable bikes with reasonable specs, a decent frame, and great looks. Anyone has experience with either one of these bikes? I'm really curious, I just can't make up my mind. One concern I have is the position on the bike: as a beginner on the road I'm slightly worried that the position on the Bianchi would be lower than the Cannondale. Not planning to race bytheway, just tour.

I'm looking forward for your advice :)

Comments

• vala
    vala Posts: 197
    I just purchased a Via Nirone 7 a couple of weeks ago after mainly being into mountain bikes, I do commute on a Cotic Roadrat singlespeed though.
    For my first road bike I'm extremely happy. Best thing I would suggest would be to find a shop that stocks them both then try and get a test ride sorted.
  • smoggysteve
    smoggysteve Posts: 2,909
    Cannondale is lighter than the Bianchi and maybe better wheels. Low end Bianchi wheels are terrible. Saying that, the Via Nirone is a very good bike.

Also the Bianchi Via Nirone is a Coast to coast frame so it is more upright and would do for long distance touring
  • lc1981
    lc1981 Posts: 820
    Yes, I thought the Via Nirone was more of a sportive bike, whereas the CAADs are more race-oriented, so I would be surprised if the Bianchi was lower.
  • toonsta
    On the Cannondale website it says they increased the length of the head tube, offering an easier ride. I'm happy to read the comments about the Bianchi, though.
  • upperoilcan
    upperoilcan Posts: 1,180
    I too have a Via Nirone which I bought as a taster to see whether I would enjoy road riding having crossed over from MTB,Its a great bike as a starter,as already mentioned the wheels arnt great and I have noticed quite a lot of flexing.

All in all its a great all rounder and a comfy ride.ive had mine 2 yrs now and it has served its purpose.
    Cervelo S5 Ultegra Di2.
  • nawty
    nawty Posts: 225
    The CAAD is supposedly a race geometry but in reality it isn't that aggressive, you really really really should try and ride them before making a decision.

If you really can't try them then I would get whichever has the best wheels, they're the thing that really makes a difference.
    Cannondale CAAD 10 Ultegra
    Kinesis Racelight Tiagra
  • toonsta
    Thanks, I'll see if I can get a test ride in the weekend, I'm very excited to get my first racing bike!
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    Not a lot between them and similarish geometry. I have an Via Nirone and the geometry is perfect for touring / sportives - relaxed but not overly relaxed.

Your head will compare specs vs price, I suspect the Biabnchi might be a touch more expensive but the stock RC finishing kit marginally better.

If you follow your heart, the Bianchi looks loads nicer. :lol:

If you look on epic cycle website, theyhave some of the Alu carbon framed Via Nirones for £999 withh veloce Groupo. Worth getting over the standard Tiagra version I'd say for the carbon rear stays - mine has these, makes for a lovely smooth ride plus a bit of bling factor.

http://www.epic-cycles.co.uk/Bianchi_Via_Nirone_7.html
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem