Wet, windy & loving it

muzzan
muzzan Posts: 203
edited March 2013 in Road beginners
Hi,

Went for a 40 k ride this morning. Extremely wet & windy, though it worked to my benefit on the toughest climb up the crow rd from lennox town, there were times I thought the bike was getting swept from under me. Just thought I would share a few thoughts, as I was trying out a some things for the 1st time.

Main new experience was SPD SL pedals & shoes. Found the shoes (shimano r087) v comfortable & the pedals (105's) felt good, clipping out was as easy as with spd's, but clipping in on the move will take some practise. Most of the time starting from traffic lights I would have a couple of misses & wobbled as my foot slipped off the pedal. Pedal didnt seem to lie correct side up , as I thought it would. Sure I will get used to it.

Also 1st time I've worn bib tights, & went sans undercrackers. Felt fine apart from when out of the saddle when my under carriage felt the wind something terrible, maybe the wee fella needs to toughen up a bit :-) Wouldnt say it was markedly more comfy than with normal shorts, but I realise distance will tell on this.

1st proper climbing I've done on the new bike (Canyon Ultimate CF). Difference was very obvious, made it up the crow rd climb much more easily & in a higher gear than on the boardman cx, took about a minute off the 2 mile climb time. Bike fairly flew on the flat as well, was doing 25mph without pushing it at times, though that was with the tail wind ;-)

Anyway, looking fwd to putting some real miles in when our lovely scottish summer comes....

Comments

• nedmoran
    nedmoran Posts: 53
    Got the same problem as you with clipping back in. It's a nightmare trying to start off again going up hill. Only been out 3 times since the new year. If it's not snowing it's lashing down. Been going down the local gym as they've got a kettler tt trainer.
  • elderone
    elderone Posts: 1,410
    Well if you enjoyed it in those weather conditions then your truly hooked.You will get used to the peddles just takes a bit of practice.Roll on summer.
    Dulce et decorum est Pro patria mori
  • Respect going out in Scottish winds. My plan of Rutherglen to Troon ended up at 52 windy miles after getting lost around Irvine. One tumble later and home on the train.
    Felt z95 - loving my first road bike
  • navrig
    navrig Posts: 1,352
    Did 36 miles round East Lothian, starting at 0700.

Forecast said 3 degrees, feels like -3 degrees. It was right. It rained and snowed all the round with a strong arctic wind from the NE.

Absolutely miserable. My feet were like blocks ice and I had to wait 45 mins before I could bare the warm water of the shower.

WHy?
  • muzzan
    When I was getting blown about I thought the flat blades on the krysium wheels probably weren't helping, but also thought how do those with deep section wheels get on with a side wind in these conditions??? Must be pretty hairy...
  • Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    I thought that weather was a scottish summer :lol:

Do you try and clip in at the top or bottom of the stroke - if i'm clipping in on a difficult incline I pedal with my heal then flip the pedal at the top of the stroke and clip in on the downstroke. :o
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    Back to cold and windy... Ears glowing as I type this!
  • muzzan
    Yep did another 30 extremely windy miles. Not too wet apart from a 10 minute snow flurry (!) Tbh was alternating between snow & sunshine all day, bonkers!

Clipping in better today, thx Cleat for the tip, seemed to help to hook the tip of the cleat in at top of the stroke & then clip in properly at the bottom, certainly got plenty of practice as seemed to get caught at every set of lights :evil:
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    Wet and windy down south too!

Went out yesterday Richmond to Peaslake loop, up and over the North Downs twice and forgot my skull cap and could have done with another layer. Freezing cold, sleet and i'm sure that it was hail stones that were bashing into my eyeballs on some descents (no glasses on).

Attempted Whitedown for the first time (no one mentioned we'd be going up it at any point) and have to admit that I was defeated. :evil: Completely hate hills, just not fit enough and need to lose a bit of weight), but managed to get up Chalk Lane alright (just).
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I read the title of the thread and though "that man has amoebic dysentery but he's secretly pleased because of the possibility of rapid, effortless weight loss"

But no, it's about the weather :(