Superstar hub bearings - what to use

The Rookie
The Rookie Posts: 27,812
edited March 2013 in MTB buying advice
Rear hub bearings got grumbly, removed, it is the freehub side that is rough, probably because it's mounted so far in (practically under the rim - poor design really - it's worse than a freewheel!) so what to use.

Cheap and cheerful - it's easy to replace after all £2.99
FAG/INA or SKF - may as well for less than a fiver more £7.24
Ceramic - only £1 more than the above so may as well £8.27

Thoughts?

(6109 by the way)
Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.

Comments

• mike23864
    mike23864 Posts: 54
    Cheap & Cheerful if they are easy to access
    SKF etc wont last twice as long. Even if the bearings are SS the race may not be so they'll still rust.
    Ceramics aren't expensive enough to be the real deal. The bearings & the race both need to be ceramic otherwise the ceramic balls will wear the race out more quickly as they are harder. It's also more difficult to manufacture spherical objects in ceramic so the balls may not be round.

I think !
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I would go for the middle ground - quality bearings are always worth the money IMO. Generally rounder, better sealed and packed with more grease.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Katec on ebay does bearings that are filled full of grease rather than the usual smear you get in standard bearings. I have had several kits off him and they are good and long lasting.

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/KaTec-Bikes?_trksid=p2047675.l2563
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • cooldad
    +1 for Katec. Good guy, and hours of entertainment on STW.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    cooldad wrote:
    +1 for Katec. Good guy, and hours of entertainment on STW.

He is mad as a box of frogs but knows his bearings and is a very helpful chap. I just wouldnt want to sit next to him on the bus.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • cooldad
    And his prices are very reasonable.
    He also puts helpful, if somewhat amateurish vids on youtube on fitting bearings to different frames.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Found his offering thanks.....£7.99

Mike, suggest instead of thinking you check, most what you said about ceramics is a little far from reality from other sources I've read.

Still tempted to try some Ceramic though!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Neal_
    Neal_ Posts: 477
    Buy katec bearings, great quality and great value.