first ever 10 mile TT

Baxter-Smythe
Baxter-Smythe Posts: 65
edited October 2014 in Amateur race
Obviously a bit anxious but looking for tips on how to pace it, I have no idea apart from ride as quick as possible from start to finish.
To complicate matters a bit I'm not fully fit, I've felt really weird all week, sinuses are sore and throat is raging, been out for a quick spin today and there isn't much in the tank but having decided to ride I really don't want to miss it.

Comments

• VTech
    VTech Posts: 4,736
    I cant help you really but could it be nerves ? have you been dieting for the event ? Lack of energy ?
    Living MY dream.
  • Don't think so I'm not really a nervous person, seems its a bug as many ppl have talked of having similar symptoms
  • VTech
    If it is a bug make sure you can keep fluids down, if your heating up without exercise I would reconsider riding the event as it could make you very ill. I hope this isnt the case as you do seem excited to be doing it. I wish you the best of luck, let us know how you get on.
    Living MY dream.
  • Lightning
    Lightning Posts: 360
    Don't miss the ride. Even if you feel like you've got nothing in the tank this week, at least you'll get the experience in (so next time you'll know better how to pace it).

As for how to pace it on feel, standard advice applies. Warm up properly (very important) and start strong, but not too strong. As you progress through the course, increase the effort depending on how you're feeling. Give it all in the last minutes and cool-down after you're done.

Good luck :)
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,217
    I wouldn't want to put you off but if you are struggling on a gentle spin I would seriously consider giving it a miss especially as the weather is going colder. There will be loads more chances when it is warmer and you are feeling healthier. However, if you do decide to ride get in a decent, progressive warm up building up to race pace. Pacing is a big issue in a 10 and to be honest there will be an element of trial and error but most people go out too hard. I would say go slightly easier than you feel you can sustain for the first couple of miles then build up. It's obviously difficult to explain pacing to someone else but the ultimate would be that you cross the line with the last pedal rev you feel you could produce at that effort. Ask on amateur race as there are some excellent time trial lists on there, sadly I'm not one of them (also do a search of the forum as it's quite a common question).
  • sskelly
    sskelly Posts: 79
    I haven't done one for a while but I used to find driving the course beforehand quite useful.

Warmup, relax and try to stay focused on the way around.

Good luck and let us known how you get on.
  • Ok well thanks everyone, some great advice there, if I feel well enough I will ride and report back
  • wheezee
    wheezee Posts: 461
    I did my one and only 10 mile TT last year. I rode a fair distance to the start, then stood and froze in a car park for twenty minutes. I jumped on the bike and went like the clappers for about 2 miles before realising I'd over-cooked it. I was caught by a couple of guys who went off behind me, but I didn't finish too badly.

The best thing to do is try it, make mistakes, and be better prepared for the next time.
  • Ok so I did ride in the end,
    At the start I almost bottled it and turned round, but the club sec' was having none of it, lean on me, clip in, 3 2 1 get on with it !

Finished just over 29 minutes so I'll be looking to shave at least 5 from that, not a great time, but one I'm sure I can better soon enough, thanks again for the advise.

http://app.strava.com/activities/43866149
  • VTech
    Very well done.
    Living MY dream.
  • Scotty-Gee
    Scotty-Gee Posts: 156
    Well done on starting and finishing. Fingers crossed ill be doing a few this year, going to rig up the spare bike and give it a bash.

You have to ask yourself a question throughout the route.

Can you keep up this pace??

If the answer is no, you've gone to fast, if its yes, it's too late to make a real impact, you want the answer to be maybe!
  • Thanks,
    I appreciate your taking the time to reply.
  • markos1963
    markos1963 Posts: 3,724
    Well done for giving it a go. Many 'fast' riders never do a TT for fear of showing themselves up by having to ride solo instead of a group. Now you've done your first the rest will be less stressful and you'll be able to concentrate on the race easier.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Well done :wink:
    I did about 4 at the end of last year and am looking forward to this years rides.
    I managed big improvements (about 30 seconds) on each subsequent ride so early gains should be easy.
    I want to break 25 min (curently about 27.30) but know gains will be harder earned as I get closer.

Garmin is useful so you can see where you are (compared to previous best) at any point on the coarse.
  • Maybe I should have posted this in the race section, but just wanted to make an addition , I carried on improving little by little last year and my best time ended up being a 24: 32.
    Last night I rode a 23:08 , really chuffed. I have also ridden 2 other club TT's this year (around 18 miles each) and taken a full 8 minutes from both of them !
    Maybe I was not quite ready to race last year, either way I think I'm in for a good season.
  • steve6690
    steve6690 Posts: 190
    Well done. I'm in the same situation as you were last year. Training hard to get under 30 minutes but hoping for a 25 minute 10 by the end of the year.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,172
    Maybe I should have posted this in the race section, but just wanted to make an addition , I carried on improving little by little last year and my best time ended up being a 24: 32.
    Last night I rode a 23:08 , really chuffed. I have also ridden 2 other club TT's this year (around 18 miles each) and taken a full 8 minutes from both of them !
    Maybe I was not quite ready to race last year, either way I think I'm in for a good season.

Your improvements are other-worldly... seriously good stuff.
    Most people that start with a 29 minutes, will end up after years of training doing a long 25... but going from 29 to 23 in one year only is stuff for the book of records... :shock:
    left the forum March 2023
  • Coming from a member such as yourself ugo, your comment carries a lot of weight, anyone who has posted about a topic over 10.000 times must have a good idea what he is talking about.
    As far as my improvement being unusual I can't really comment all I can say is I still work full time and train as hard as I can with the time I have available to me but I am a very tenacious / obsessive type of person so once I have made my mind up to try something then that's it really tunnel vision and nothing else matters !
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    Last night I rode a 23:08

Brilliant! Well done!
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,172
    Coming from a member such as yourself ugo, your comment carries a lot of weight, anyone who has posted about a topic over 10.000 times must have a good idea what he is talking about.
    As far as my improvement being unusual I can't really comment all I can say is I still work full time and train as hard as I can with the time I have available to me but I am a very tenacious / obsessive type of person so once I have made my mind up to try something then that's it really tunnel vision and nothing else matters !

I am not sure what I am talking about when it comes to time trialling, but your progress is astonishing.
    left the forum March 2023
  • lawrences
    lawrences Posts: 1,011
    Coming from a member such as yourself ugo, your comment carries a lot of weight, anyone who has posted about a topic over 10.000 times must have a good idea what he is talking about.

I am not sure what I am talking about when it comes to time trialling, but your progress is astonishing.

Considering he turned up to his first ever time trial feeling ill. I would say it's not astonishing. It's bloody good but not unbelievable.

OP have you done any aero upgrades or is all that improvement just more power?
    Also is this all on the same course?
  • kingstonian
    kingstonian Posts: 2,847
    Well done.

What sort of terrain are you doing your TT's on?
  • Very much upgraded gear as well, my first effort was on my Sunday bike with clip on's and now I have a transition with all the trimmings.

This is the course, strava time differs from the official one ( as always)

http://app.strava.com/activities/131272678
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    wow, very well done! nice bike too!

makes me feel less pleased with my speed yesterday, i did do 10 times the distance though :-)
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    You have done well over the last 12 months but now the real hard work starts as you have the gear to becoming a tester... where you going to get other 3 minutes from to get you into a 20 minute man and becoming competitive...? :wink:
  • lawrences
    lawrences Posts: 1,011
    I love those trimax chainsets. Could eat your post ride meal off it.
  • Well I guess I may as well keep this thread running if your all ok with it being here and not in the racing section,
    I'll report back here with next Thursday's results ( nothing like a bit of pressure)
  • I'm thinking speed Max dreams atm.... Getting around 22/23 mins on 10 mile TT races with canyon slx with aero bars, feeling dedicated TT bike would improve position to get that time well down sub 20
    London2Brighton Challange 100k!
    http://www.justgiving.com/broxbourne-runners
  • kingstonian
    kingstonian Posts: 2,847
    Very much upgraded gear as well, my first effort was on my Sunday bike with clip on's and now I have a transition with all the trimmings.

This is the course, strava time differs from the official one ( as always)

http://app.strava.com/activities/131272678

Ah, I know the route!!! Had a girlfriend from uni that came from Findon, had a few great stays down there.