Specialized Bighit 2, freeride, advice needed...

astfan
astfan Posts: 6
edited March 2013 in MTB general
Hello all, I am new to the forum but not so new to MTB.

Recently purchaced Spesh Bighit 2, bike was a total bargain, only used few times on road!
Not thinking much, as its technically brand new and comes with set of spare tyres, I payed guy the money.

Now... medium size for a 6.1 tall bloke...hmmmm my concerns start here.
Should I try to sell it (probably would take for it twice as much as I paid) and find something in large size, or should I keep it and just try it out bit more (only took it for a ride).

I want to learn to freeride, this is my first full suss bike.
Any advice much appreciated.

Comments

• Size wise, you should only be bothered about reach imo.

I'm 6ft 2 and would be looking at both the Medium and Large. On paper I'd be swaying towards the medium, but I'd need to sit on them.

Its personal preference.

What doesn't fit?
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    I have a big hit 2. I'm only 5ft 9 and ride a medium. But when you say you want to learn to free ride, what do you mean?
    What do you want the bike to do?
  • astfan
    Hi guys thanks so much for the response.
    What doesn't fit?
    Well thats the question, how will I know that? Its my first downhill bike so no clue how should it feel like.
    I do not knock my knees on the handlebar and I am not the haeviest (176 pounds - spring is 450).

Is the reach from saddle to handlebar?
    welshkev wrote:
    But when you say you want to learn to free ride, what do you mean?
    What do you want the bike to do?
    I only ever rode XC hardtails before, bike like this was only in my dream area :).
    So now as have one I need to polish my riding skills and learn techniques (drops, turns etc.).
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Ride it down a gnarrrrly hil and see how it feels.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Yup, just ride it!

A FR bike is very much about personal preference, you should be spending 95% of the time out of the saddle and hooning it down hills.

A shorter smaller bike should be more manuverable and have quick reactions, but might get bounced about over rocky stuff and feel a bit twitchy.

A longer bigger bike should float over rocky stuff and feel more stable at speed, but will be less manuverable and slower to turn.
  • 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222
    ^^^this

Point downhill, release brakes, see how it feels.
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • astfan
    Again thanks for all the input guys!

I will definatelly take it downhill, been riding today locally on redways (network of red tarmac paths covering area of Milton Keynes) and ofc it was a pain in the arse to keep up with my mate on xc bike... Sort of getting use to it a bit now; such a difference compare to a hadtail.

Soon I'll hit the Bow Brickhill woods, hopefully won't be to much of a climb cos its way too hard!
    I am planning to change the spring to 500 (its Fox Van R currently with 450) and have a longer seat post. I think it will help me a bit with going up and ride xc trials?
    Also, is it normal for chain guide to make a noise?
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    Chain guide on the Big Hit 2 is shit - mine loses its chain regularly despite the chain guide.

Pedalling the bike is not really what its designed for - its too heavy and too wallowy to be any good riding off road xc (or on road). The bike doesnt come fitted for a twin chainset which pretty much sets out its purpose. Sure you can get it up a hill but why would you use it for that purpose?

I rode mine home from the bike park each day I went out and even the five minutes ride home was hell!

As a freeride/mini DH bike it is great - I ride a small at 5'6 and wouldnt want a bigger one - for freeride riding I think a little smaller is better than too big. I suggested it doesn't pedal well and on mine I cant actually raise the saddle quite high enough for an ideal pedalling position (minimum height on post shows if I do). I dont imagine the post is longer on the medium so I can only think you are trying to pedal it with the seat too low too.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    Exactly what was said above and why I asked. I thought it sounded like you may have bought the wrong bike for what you want it for. I only ever use mine on uplift days. I did take it out the other day for a 'ride' as we were exploring some local woods but it got pushed more than ridden even on the flat bits lol.

You may be better off with something like a lapierre spicy if you want to be able to ride it on cycle paths and stuff too?
  • astfan
    Hello folks!
    ...Sure you can get it up a hill but why would you use it for that purpose?
    ...I dont imagine the post is longer on the medium so I can only think you are trying to pedal it with the seat too low too.

The reason I will still use it on XC trials and occasionally on road is because I can only afford one bike atm and just thinking to make it more comfortable for that occasion.

Seatpost is 300mm and it's bit too short - so maybe an upgrade to something longer with a set back will help a bit on flats and ups?
    Still can go for higher rate sprung to make it stiffer at the back? And probably change the oil grade to make front harder?
    welshkev wrote:
    You may be better off with something like a lapierre spicy if you want to be able to ride it on cycle paths and stuff too?

You see bike was so cheap (and new) I just had to buy it, and of course I will use it for freeride just want to make it more universal. Well if it can't be done, I am still happy to even use it only for its purpose.

Any thoughts on that chain guide? Has it got to make a noise? When I remove the top guard(?) it stops but it does with it (on light gears only).

Well thanks again for all your answers to my noobish questions!
  • bluechair84
    bluechair84 Posts: 4,352
    'Freeride' really means very large drops, long wall rides, and fairly smooth transions and descents. There isn't many places in the UK that I would call freeride. And the stuff that I would, is really for advanced riders and above. 'Downhill' sometimes has features of freeride, but tends to be on faster, rockier terrain.
    You can still hit all of the above on any trail bike and unless you actually have a freeride park close to you (Bennington?), or a serious DH centre (Hamsterly / Rheola), you'll find a Big Hit holds you back more than it gives you. I'd research the genres more and consider selling it for a profit and buying a burly trail bike. They really can handle a lot of abuse but can be used far far more than a dedicated FR/DH bike. Look into something like a Marin Attack Trail.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    If you want to do proper freeride, jumps & drops etc rather than flat out downhill runs the sizing should be fine.
    One of the lads at my local trails is a pro freerider, he is taller than me but his bikes are tiny so that he can pull massive tricks like 360's off cliffs, he evn rides dirt jumps on a small downhill bike.
    Bike set up is a personal thing but if your going to be landing big jumps & drops you need quite a firm set up.
    Ride it for a while and see how you get on. You can always sell it later on.
  • astfan
    Decision made: bike stays and I learn to freeride - simple.
    Thanks for all the good advice it helped a lot!