Whyte 29er Bottom Bracket Bearing Issues

acoomb
acoomb Posts: 5
edited April 2013 in MTB general
Hi
I've had a Whyte Carbon 29er for about 10 weeks now and I dropped it in to my LBS (not the shop I bought the bike from as they no longer exist!) for a quick service this week to discover the bottom bracket (FSA pressfit 30) was "full of grit and water" and the bearings were "shot to pieces"? Surely I should expect to get more than 10 weeks riding out of a set of bearings - the bearings on my old bike lasted for years?

Upon removal there was a "grey dust cover", apologies if this is not the correct terminology, that looks to have been forced in and was quite deformed and had scored the axle - does anyone know where I can get a replacement?

I've emailed ATB twice but received no answer from them.

Thanks for any help in advance!

Comments

• Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    If you've been riding in the wet without a rear mudguard, then muck and spray trickles down the seattube and gathers in the BB shell. If you don't remove the seatpost and let it drain out, then leaving your bearings sat in dirty water will cause problems.

Google is your friend:
    http://www.ukbikestore.co.uk/product/23 ... tb-bb.html
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • RevellRider
    RevellRider Posts: 1,794
    acoomb wrote:
    Upon removal there was a "grey dust cover", apologies if this is not the correct terminology, that looks to have been forced in and was quite deformed and had scored the axle - does anyone know where I can get a replacement?

How can a grey plastic cover damage a metal axle?
  • acoomb
    Many thanks Monty Dog! I was surprised it happened over such a short amount of time.

RevellRider - hopefully this link will work (I'm new to Flickr) to show you the scoring -
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/93890855@N03/
  • chez_m356
    chez_m356 Posts: 1,893
    acoomb wrote:
      Many thanks Monty Dog! I was surprised it happened over such a short amount of time.
      8541957234_f34bd83130_o.jpg
        8541957188_c8a40c6f3f_z.jpg
        Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 10- CANYON Nerve AM 6 2011
      • RevellRider
        RevellRider Posts: 1,794
        Looking at those photos, I'd be taking it back to where you bought it and asking them to sort the issue out. I would expect a bottom bracket to last more than 10 weeks. Even in the grotty conditions we've had
      • chez_m356
        chez_m356 Posts: 1,893
        Looking at those photos, I'd be taking it back to where you bought it and asking them to sort the issue out. I would expect a bottom bracket to last more than 10 weeks. Even in the grotty conditions we've had
        that may prove a bit difficult
        acoomb wrote:
        dropped it in to my LBS (not the shop I bought the bike from as they no longer exist!) for a quick service this week
            maybe visit a dealer and ask if whyte themselves can help ?, don't know the chances of this, but it can't hurt to ask
          Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 10- CANYON Nerve AM 6 2011
        • acoomb
          My brother was at a demo day today and Whyte were there - he showed one of their guys the photo's and he has asked me to contact him directly as he felt it was a warranty issue - I'll keep you updated on how things go from here! Thanks for your comments.
        • I know a friend with a 146s that is on his fourth BB in 6months, it's just shockingly not fit for purpose. If he was riding through 2ft of water then fair enough, but the bike should be weather proof enough to cope with getting a thin covering of mud on it every now and then.
          Bikes:
          Cannondale Killer V 1995 (Promo model) - My first Race bike now converted to a commuter
          Lapierre X-Flow 712 - XC fs rocket
          Pivot Mach 6 - Enduro Machine
          Pinarello FP2 - Roadie
        • theblender
          theblender Posts: 201
          The problem isn't Whyte, it's the BB30 system. The BB30 system just doesn't keep water out. I had the same on my 2012 Stumpjumper - the SRAM BB30 lasted less than a year. I've seen it on Cannondale and Cube too, on road and MTB units, I've yet to see a BB30 last over a year.

So I suggest to all bike manufacturers - don't spec BB30 for UK bikes - they're crap.
        • acoomb
          Whyte are really letting themselves down on this one .... 6 weeks since I initially contacted them and one reply saying they'd sort something out, since then NO REPLY to my emails (some have been sent directly to the guy in the warranty department) and numerous phone calls!

The bikes are great but the after sales service .... 0/5!

I previously had a Cube with a frame issue - replaced with no questions asked in under a week!
        • cooldad
          cooldad Posts: 32,599
          Except your contract is with the seller. A lot of manufacturers aren't geared up to deal with the public.
          Although I would expect the courtesy of a reply, at least.
          I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools