Always someone looking for downside of the TDF 2014

danlikesbikes
danlikesbikes Posts: 3,898
edited March 2013 in Pro race
Think this story just about sum's it up http://tinyurl.com/b3sqhtl

Well what can I say? A lot actually judging by the story and photo.

1) Looks like he could do with getting on a bike TBH would do his health a lot of good
2) He is a Tory & his party lost the seat last year (I think) so always going to be spouting on about something "the other side wanted" just to get some column inches
3) WTF would a cyclist want with car wing mirrors
4) Oh why do I bother.....
Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.

Comments

• mr_poll
    mr_poll Posts: 1,547
    Last paragraph reads:

We want half a million people to come, stay in our hotels and spend money here but if you want to cycle on an open road then you can **** off.
  • danlikesbikes
    Lets just hope the organisers arrange for the village to be the official "natural break" for the peloton & get a nice banner printed up sponsored by Councillor Andy Quinn :lol:
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • Yellow Peril
    Yellow Peril Posts: 4,466
    It would help a lot if some cyclists didn't ride like tw@ts though. I commute to work on a bike and see riders ignoring lights and taking to the pavement when it suits them. Just because their form of transport is not motorised I think they feel they can do as they please :roll:
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • danlikesbikes
    It would help a lot if some cyclists didn't ride like tw@ts though. I commute to work on a bike and see riders ignoring lights and taking to the pavement when it suits them. Just because their form of transport is not motorised I think they feel they can do as they please :roll:

I don't disagree with you, but the same could easily be said for car drivers talking on their mobile phones, motorcyclists undertaking, white van man on your ass in lane 3 of the motorway, old Dorris cutting you up without indicating, pedestrians stepping out into the road not looking as messing around with their smart phone/ipod, parents on the school run triple parking......... the list goes on.

I think its a case of a few giving a bad name to the rest of use, but this is the case in all forms of road users.

My point was that a lot of work has gone into getting the TDF back to Britain & the financial income that it will bring to villages like this, plus possibly some red tape cut to get road works completed will leave a lasting legacy. Yet some chubby politician who is not in power seems to use cyclists as an pawn to get column inches. Maybe if he had also kicked out at his own staff for not using the local parking scheme I would be more lenient - http://tinyurl.com/axesv9b
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784

When the TdF started in London, Quick.Step were based down the road from me. They didn't bother with that stopping at red light lark.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • It would help a lot if some cyclists didn't ride like tw@ts though. I commute to work on a bike and see riders ignoring lights and taking to the pavement when it suits them. Just because their form of transport is not motorised I think they feel they can do as they please :roll:

Too right. The pedestrians are even worse - not waiting for the green man, even when they've pressed the button themselves, wandering into cycle paths and/or the road, sometimes two or three abreast or with dogs on extendible leads, dogs which cr*p all over the place, stepping off the pavement without looking, dropping beer bottles and other litter, ears plugged up with headphones and eyes glued to the smartphone. They've got no training, they don't pay road tax or pavement tax or anything, none of them are insured, you hardly ever see them wearing helmets or carrying a bell or using their mirrors, then when you run them over for their own good they're straight off to No-win-no-fee-bloodsuckinglawyersRus. Bleedin' nightmare, shouldn't be allowed, ban 'em I say.

Back on topic for a pro-race forum (sort of), if Yorkshire doesn't want the TdF, can we route it through Worthing please?
    I have a policy of only posting comment on the internet under my real name. This is to moderate my natural instinct to flame your fatuous, ill-informed, irrational, credulous, bigoted, semi-literate opinions to carbon, you knuckle-dragging f***wits.
  • danlikesbikes
    Back on topic for a pro-race forum (sort of), if Yorkshire doesn't want the TdF, can we route it through Worthing please?

I'm from Lanc's so not that happy that they are going to the other side of the hills :x

Of course I'm only joking, pleased to see it back in Britain & the route looks good accept for perhaps Craven where they don't seem to want "packs of cyclists" and the money we bring in.
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    I don't disagree with you, but the same could easily be said for car drivers talking on their mobile phones, motorcyclists undertaking, white van man on your ass in lane 3 of the motorway, old Dorris cutting you up without indicating, pedestrians stepping out into the road not looking as messing around with their smart phone/ipod, parents on the school run triple parking......... the list goes on.

But fairdoos to Dorris, spelling her name with 2 r's is pretty 'street' and cool of her.
  • ratsbeyfus
    ratsbeyfus Posts: 2,841

Too right. The pedestrians are even worse - not waiting for the green man, even when they've pressed the button themselves, wandering into cycle paths and/or the road, sometimes two or three abreast or with dogs on extendible leads, dogs which cr*p all over the place, stepping off the pavement without looking, dropping beer bottles and other litter, ears plugged up with headphones and eyes glued to the smartphone. They've got no training, they don't pay road tax or pavement tax or anything, none of them are insured, you hardly ever see them wearing helmets or carrying a bell or using their mirrors, then when you run them over for their own good they're straight off to No-win-no-fee-bloodsuckinglawyersRus. Bleedin' nightmare, shouldn't be allowed, ban 'em I say.

Perfect description of Worthing Rob. Time for you to move to Brighton I think. :D

I had one of them red bikes but I don't any more. Sad face.

@ratsbey
  • danlikesbikes
    edited March 2013
    mfin wrote:

But fairdoos to Dorris, spelling her name with 2 r's is pretty 'street' and cool of her.

Quite ironic really as she would spell fair doos with the gap :lol: As for if this is your only contribution is to pick me up on my spelling of the name you clearly are not aware it can and is spelt either with one or two R's
  • I work in Skipton around the corner from Embsay and it has always had lots of people cycling through it. I don't remember any traffic lights though.
    Craven is a little bit like little Britain though. They have accused cyclist of knocking off peoples wing mirrors lol.
    In Skipton people put cones in front of there houses so they can park outside there own house and no one else can.
  • Cumulonimbus
    Cumulonimbus Posts: 1,730
    Temporary traffic lights are often connected to roadworks though. In these instances you often only have one lane to go along when the light is on green. If a cyclist waits at the red then all the drivers have to drive slowly behind him/her until the end of the roadworks which can be quite long. If the cyclist goes through on a red then all the drivers can go through the roadworks at normal speed and overtake the cyclist at a faster speed as there is more space to overtake. Therefore a cyclist going through a red light at a roadworks is saving the dear motorists time?*

*This is still illegal, but is it illegal if you cycle through the roadworks themselves, ie the lane which is closed if it is safe to do so?
  • RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    It would be good to see Cllr Quinn doing 50 mph.

Ok, it would be good to see him do 15 mph.
  • danlikesbikes
    I reckon on a downhill he could easily be the fastest rider in the TDF :)
  • RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    Always look on the downside of TDF
    Always look on the downside of TDF
    der der da der da da
  • it's an easy answer really, all those visiting le tour shouldn't spend any money in fat Quinn's embassy or skipton. if on a club ride and wanting a bun stop ride through to a more welcoming village.
  • danlikesbikes
    it's an easy answer really, all those visiting le tour shouldn't spend any money in fat Quinn's embassy or skipton. if on a club ride and wanting a bun stop ride through to a more welcoming village.

Pretty much my thoughts - I will be going & staying elsewhere but riding over to watch, though perhaps to another town on the route.