Shimano Xt Brakes question

paulski1966
paulski1966 Posts: 98
edited March 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Possibly a really dumb question but here goes -

Replacing the Tektro Aurigas brakes on my bike. Got a set of XTs from Rose. Question is can I simply replace the levers and calipers and keep the Tektro hoses? Reason I ask is that a) The hoses are the correct length b) coming fom Rose the levers are the wrong way round c) I'm possibly swapping bikes later this year and will be moving the XTs over, so don't want to cut the new hoses only for them not to fit the new bike, and will be putting the Tektros back on my current bike.

Is this a ridiculous way to do things, and should I just shorten the hoses I have withe the XTs, or is it a simpler approach?

Any help is appreciated.

Comments

• oxocube1
    oxocube1 Posts: 651
    The hoses will probably transferrable, it's just the olive kit and connectors that might not be. You should be able to put the spare olive kit you get with the XTs onto the Tektros. I imagine that would work.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    shorten the hoses. or just swap them lever to lever.

it is way easier to do and way less messy and needs less or no fluid. and i don't think you will have the right fittings.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Swap the levers, leave the hoses slightly on the long side, as Nick says it is doubtful the fittings are totally compatable, besides you can get new hoses for less than you can sell the Tektros on for!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Dumb question but do the Tektros use DOT fluid because mixing Mineral and DOT fluid will go horribly wrong. Swapping levers and shortening XT brakes is so easy if you follow the instructions cant imagine any good reason not to do it.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • oxocube1
    oxocube1 Posts: 651
    stubs wrote:
    Dumb question but do the Tektros use DOT fluid because mixing Mineral and DOT fluid will go horribly wrong.

No, both use mineral oil.
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    Just swap the levers on the XTS, it's really easy to do. It doesn't matter if the hoses are a bit on the long side.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • Thanks for the advice everyone - I'll swap the levers an shorten the hoses then.