Afan - easter weekend

gregwari
gregwari Posts: 230
edited March 2013 in Routes
First time up there at easter but times limited (travelling there and back in a day) with 3 mates. Keen to try the new skills bit + either the wall or whites... which of whites or the wall would you suggest?? Probably also wise to add we're comfortable riding red grade trails in England but tend to stick off black trails

cheers!!!

Comments

• concorde
    concorde Posts: 1,008
    You could try W2, which is The Wall and Whites combined. It's about 25 miles. I'd park at Glyncorrwg and start on The Whites climb. The Bike park is half way round so then you can have a go on that and then carry on down the Wall descent then up The Wall descent and finish with Whites descent, back where you started, it's all signposted. Most bang for your buck I would say. If you're only going to do one of the two, I would choose Whites everytime, and include the black run, but it's optional if you don't want to. I left it out the last time I did W2 as it takes it out of you W2.

Here is a strava map of it

http://app.strava.com/activities/41944548
  • msp1
    msp1 Posts: 59
    If times limited park at Bryn Betwys Lodge, the location of Afan Bike Park, have a play in the park and then start your loop of the Wall from here, all signposted. When you get back to the bike park have some lunch in the cafe and play in the bike park till its time to go.

When riding The Wall and I'm sure its section 373, you will come to a junction that's not sign posted, straight on is the original section but hairpin right is a short new section which is fast with big berms and possibly the best part of the wall IMHO, not to be missed.

Have fun.
  • concorde
    concorde Posts: 1,008
    I think the new bit on 373 isn't worth the effort of that little extra climb lol, I prefer sticking to the old bit. The new bit up from the bike park I think is the best addition, before going down zig zags.
  • gregwari
    gregwari Posts: 230
    Excellent - thanks guys!
  • wmorgs
    wmorgs Posts: 113
    Be On The Short Wall In This Sunday Great Ride with Loop on The New Non Jump Section :}