What is the best clothing for wet/windy weather?

Triban Man
Triban Man Posts: 35
edited March 2013 in Road beginners
New to road cycling. Did a 35 mile ride in windy and wet weather today. Put on head cover under helmet, two layers under a cycling jacket, waterproof trousers and shoe covers. But I passed a chap (he was going in the opposite direction :D) who looked a serious cyclist. He basically had a long-sleeved top and cycling trousers on. Got me thinking. Was I ridiculously over-dressed? What is the best clothing for wet and windy conditions?

Comments

• baldwin471
    baldwin471 Posts: 366
    It's up to you really. It also depends on your resistance to the cold and wind. You do get more used to it with time though. I normally stick an under armour long sleeve on, with a short sleeve jersey and a windbreaker top if it's really windy. Then just my shorts with leg warmers or my full leg tights. And a balaclava for those bitterly cold days.
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    Roubaix (fleece lined) bib tights and a windproof top with merino baselayer under and your good to go.

Also a buff or similar arounf neck/face if you like.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • Thanks Baldwin/Smidsy. So waterproof trousers not necessary/advisable?
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    You can get water repelent bib tights.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • marylogic
    marylogic Posts: 355
    If it's really rainy you're going to get wet regardless. The key thing is to avoid getting COLD, so I wear a showerproof to keep the wind off rather than anything else.

My dear mum, bless her, wears a shower cap over the top of her cycle helmet, it makes me smile every time I picture her.
  • hstiles
    hstiles Posts: 414
    mudguards on bike

bib shorts and knee warmers or bib tights
    base layer
    jersey
    arm warmers
    gillet or light rain jacket
  • pipipi
    pipipi Posts: 332
    don't forget that the person you saw might have been wishing that they had put their jacket on! Maybe it was dry when they started out...
  • danlikesbikes
    danlikesbikes Posts: 3,898
    When its cold & windy I tend to wrap up with bib tights.

But if its raining and not heavy I am quite happy in my shorts with knee warmers & long sleeve top, poss a gilet too. I know I'm going to get a bit wet, but as long as I'm going at a good rate my body is going to stay warm and my core won't feel a thing.
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • Focus on keeping warm before dry (unless you're intending to spend many hours in the saddle), and don't boil in the bag. A windproof winter jersey with a base layer, along with warm tights, should keep you warm through most of what this country can offer. Add a wool cap (preferably with ear flap), warm gloves, warm socks and overshoes, and something to shield your neck if you like, and you should be positively cosy...
  • Some excellent responses there. Many thanks. Much appreciated.
  • navrig
    navrig Posts: 1,352
    After this morning the best thing for cold wet and windy weather is a 13.5 TOG goose down duvet.
  • very interesting replies does anybody think you should buy expensive clothes or are the budget ones just as good?
  • danlikesbikes
    danlikesbikes Posts: 3,898
    Each to their own really.

Personally I buy expensive shorts & base layers, as they are your weight bearing contact point & in close contact with your core. So to me are pretty important parts to look after.

Then jersey, arm warmers, gilets, gloves, helmet is down to personal preference. I have a mixture of cheaper club clothing & more expensive Rapha stuff.

If your going to ask me does the price make a difference? For the important parts shorts/base layers I'd say yes you do get what you pay for. As for the cheaper stuff generally is of a good quality but perhaps does not have all the junctions & style of the more expensive items.
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • velohutts
    velohutts Posts: 288
    As above really , you pay for what you get but if you hunt around in the sales you can get some quality stuff at some discounted prices, I have recently bought a rapha softshell and it is by far and away the best jacket I have owned and is a goto jacket for just about any weather unless it's throwing it down.

It looks pretty good to IMHO, my collection of more expensive attire has taken a couple of years to build up but my thought process is the longevity and quality brings in the 'buy cheap,buy twice' which I have suffered with before.

I have rapha, assos and castelli clothing which is all very good and sure you will get some other brands recommended along with others who will recommend the lidl aldi clothing range.

I would say buy the best you can afford and spend hours trawling the internet looking for bargains when not out on the bike or in the mancave!

Today blowing a gale will be a baselayer, L/s top , softshell and bibs with leg warmers and overshoes.

I feel the cold hence the above layers but overshoes are a godsend and planet x gloves at a tenner are a recommend for a reasonable price.
    Enigma Esprit Di2 - Go tI ! Summer !
  • mrbubbaman
    mrbubbaman Posts: 171
    very interesting replies does anybody think you should buy expensive clothes or are the budget ones just as good?
    I have to work on a budget (2 young kids and a wide)
    My thermal leggings were around 7 quid, my thermal long sleeve was about the same and all from sports direct. Their base layers are quite cheap and very good. Campri leggings and a puma top.
    My tights I bought years ago for running and got in the sale for 20 quid. A Tenn long sleeve winter Jersey was 15 quid from Amazon and I paid 17 quid for my BTwin water resistant jacket from Decathlon.

I was lovely and warm yesterday and didn't get too wet :D
  • Camcycle1974
    Camcycle1974 Posts: 1,356
    I'm with you Mr B. Cheap base layers from Sports Direct and their Muddy Fox tights coupled with some cycling shorts over the top. I do have a nice, new Altura waterproof/windproof softshell jacket though which kept me warm/dry yesterday.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    I've got one of the mountain warehouse cycling jackets - wind/waterproof - been in use all winter for commuting and weekend rides - gets a bit damp underneath if I'm working hard, but I'm glad I bought it!
    In fact, I don't think I've been on a ride since November without it on! :(
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Roubaix bib tights (basic DHB stuff), Merino baselayer, Gore Phantom windstopper softshell, cheapo Planet X overshoes, some kind of Altura gloves. Buffs over head / ears, and round neck and face.

If it's really wet and cold I'll wear base layer, long sleeved jersey and a Goretex Paclite shell. Or stay at home.
  • mrbubbaman
    mrbubbaman Posts: 171
    If you're quick LIDL have some thermal tops for sale in their stores, I bought two yesterday and they weren't bad (it was -2)

My Dhb bib shorts and leg warmers also arrived today to replace my ripped leggings after my crash.
  • dfriel2
    dfriel2 Posts: 47
    Currently using Aldi winter tights, and a dhb windslam roubaix jersey (heavily reduced at the moment) with a decent baselayer. Aldi winter gloves and a cheap btwin skull cap. That's keeping me warm in the current weather (windchill was meant to be minus 6 today), and all good value.