which wheels!!!!!!!

Gaz7777gaz
Gaz7777gaz Posts: 18
edited March 2013 in Road beginners
hi cycling newbie here just about to submit my order for my new bike from ribble.but getting different veiws from my pals, i have two who i try and keep up with!one his a mavic fan and the other a bit in the middle i like the look og the campag wheels (vento)i am putting all campag groupset on as well(centaur)they are both telling me about the weight of the wheels i am 13 ,5 stone so would 600 gram make that much difference. aksium vs vento or would i be fine on the khamsin? i cant get my head round the weight thing is it that inportant i could lose 600 grams having a crap! :? please help me out i need to order this bike!cheers

Comments

• schweiz
    schweiz Posts: 1,644
    it takes less effort to accelerate with lighter wheel as there's less mass to spin up. The down side is that they have less inertia so lose momentum faster. Heavier wheels keep turning longer (think of a flywheel).

Depends what you want/need.
  • pride4ever
    pride4ever Posts: 510
    No it doesnt matter, it would be cheaper and a million % more beneficial for you to simply lose weight. Always makes me smile when I pass people on hills on full carbon posh rides that weigh 6 kgs yet the rider is way overweight. At 9st 10 my ride at 9kgs is lighter than 99% of cyclists. People forget the human body is where most of the weight lies. Get whatever wheels you think look better on the bike bro.
    the deeper the section the deeper the pleasure.
  • VTech
    VTech Posts: 4,736
    pride4ever wrote:
    No it doesnt matter, it would be cheaper and a million % more beneficial for you to simply lose weight. Always makes me smile when I pass people on hills on full carbon posh rides that weigh 6 kgs yet the rider is way overweight. At 9st 10 my ride at 9kgs is lighter than 99% of cyclists. People forget the human body is where most of the weight lies. Get whatever wheels you think look better on the bike bro.

Your post is really odd, I want to argue with you so much but your 100% correct so I can't.
    Living MY dream.
  • VTech wrote:
    pride4ever wrote:
    Thanks pal that's why I have taken up cycling !its much easier on my body that ice hockey!and thanks for calling me a fat git my two pals are skinny gits as well .

Your post is really odd, I want to argue with you so much but your 100% correct so I can't.
  • pride4ever wrote:

Thanks pal that's why I have taken up cycling !its much easier on my body that ice hockey!and thanks for calling me a fat git my two pals are skinny gits as well .
  • flasher
    flasher Posts: 1,734
    pride4ever wrote:

So how skinny do you have to be before your allowed nice wheels?

There maybe a pro or 2 that surf this site but most of us aren't and never will be, does that mean we're only allowed cr@ppy old bikes because that's all we're good for?

We all like nice things, buy what you like and can afford and if that's a pair of Lightweights good for you, fwiw. I have some Campag Neutrons and they've been fantastic for the past 4 years.
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 22,063
    Current weight and new lighter wheels = lighter overall

Enjoying the new wheels might mean going out more often, thereby reducing the riders weight too!
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    Get the wheels you want.

When they need replacing get some proper hand built wheels and then tell your pals how wrong they were :-)
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    I've got some Ventos and a couple of pairs of Khamsins. Both wheels are very good. As far as I can tell, there is next to no difference in any practical sense between the Ventos and Khamsins. The Ventos look a little nicer but that's it. There is little weight difference - about 120 grams between them. I got my Ventos from Ribble at the same time as the bike as a spare wheelset as they were doing them for silly money (£100) - if they are a really cheap upgrade from the Khamsins then go for it but otherwise I wouldn't bother unless the slight difference in appearance is worth it for you.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Rolf F wrote:
    I've got some Ventos and a couple of pairs of Khamsins. Both wheels are very good. As far as I can tell, there is next to no difference in any practical sense between the Ventos and Khamsins. The Ventos look a little nicer but that's it. There is little weight difference - about 120 grams between them. I got my Ventos from Ribble at the same time as the bike as a spare wheelset as they were doing them for silly money (£100) - if they are a really cheap upgrade from the Khamsins then go for it but otherwise I wouldn't bother unless the slight difference in appearance is worth it for you.
    cheers mate might save my self a bit of money and go with the khamsin s .because I am new to this and everybody I talk to mentions the weight and the they say you can up grade later! That seems a bit silly to me when you can get what you want the first time round .i ride a trek 1.4 alpha with campagnello mirage and open pro wheels I bought of eBay for £250 a year ago.will I notice the difference and if so where!
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,302
    Gaz7777gaz wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:
    cheers mate might save my self a bit of money and go with the khamsin s .because I am new to this and everybody I talk to mentions the weight and the they say you can up grade later! That seems a bit silly to me when you can get what you want the first time round .i ride a trek 1.4 alpha with campagnello mirage and open pro wheels I bought of eBay for £250 a year ago.will I notice the difference and if so where!

It sound to me the Kamhsin ar a step down from the open pro you have... Certainly the rim is a lot heavier, feels like a hoop of iron in comparison... Keep you open pro and never call your group set Campagnello again... :wink:
    left the forum March 2023
  • pride4ever
    Flasher wrote:
    pride4ever wrote:

So how skinny do you have to be before your allowed nice wheels?

There maybe a pro or 2 that surf this site but most of us aren't and never will be, does that mean we're only allowed cr@ppy old bikes because that's all we're good for?

We all like nice things, buy what you like and can afford and if that's a pair of Lightweights good for you, fwiw. I have some Campag Neutrons and they've been fantastic for the past 4 years.

Thats my point exactly dude. Get the blingest wheels you like and worry not how heavy or light they may be. Make all your savings in your own weight loss. Whats the point in saving 500g on a pair of lite-weight boring looking wheels when you can lose a stone and ride on deep section in your face monsters.

If any of you want to know how to lose weight pm me, but be warned like cycling its brutal but completely worth it.
  • rolf_f
    It sound to me the Kamhsin ar a step down from the open pro you have... Certainly the rim is a lot heavier, feels like a hoop of iron in comparison... Keep you open pro and never call your group set Campagnello again... :wink:

Has he got Open Pros? It's a new bike so I'd assume he has nowt! Khamsins are a £100 wheel and very reliable. They aren't that light but they aren't that heavy. It's a good wheel to start off with and give yourself time to work out what summer special wheelset you'd like.
    pride4ever wrote:
    Thats my point exactly dude. Get the blingest wheels you like and worry not how heavy or light they may be. Make all your savings in your own weight loss. Whats the point in saving 500g on a pair of lite-weight boring looking wheels when you can lose a stone and ride on deep section in your face monsters.

Deep section wheels don't look interesting - they just look heavy and clumsy! Better to lose a stone and ride light weight wheels (that look good!) ;)
  • pride4ever
    Rolf F wrote:

Has he got Open Pros? It's a new bike so I'd assume he has nowt! Khamsins are a £100 wheel and very reliable. They aren't that light but they aren't that heavy. It's a good wheel to start off with and give yourself time to work out what summer special wheelset you'd like.
    pride4ever wrote:

Deep section wheels don't look interesting - they just look heavy and clumsy! Better to lose a stone and ride light weight wheels (that look good!) ;)

You forgot to add....imho bro. I wouldnt ride with girlie hoops on if you paid me nowadays. The deeper the section the deeper the pleasure.......YOWZA.
  • rolf_f
    pride4ever wrote:
    You forgot to add....imho bro.

No, I definitely didn't forget to add.... imho. With or without the "bro" :wink:
  • pride4ever
    Rolf F wrote:
    pride4ever wrote:

No, I definitely didn't forget to add.... imho. With or without the "bro" :wink:

Oh Ok the next time I want to read some incoherent tripe I'll hit you up...bro.
  • rolf_f
    pride4ever wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:
    pride4ever wrote:

Now, it may well be the case that my post was tripe (not for me to say!) but I think you'll find it definitely was coherent. It wasn't me that wrote " when you can lose a stone and ride on deep section in your face monsters" :lol:

(and what's with all this "I'll hit you up" stuff - are you by any chance Tim Westwood? :wink: )
  • Just ordered the bike with vento wheels cheers for the advice . :)
  • smidsy
    pride4ever wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:
    pride4ever wrote:

Or speak to a fellow American perhaps!
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    "and what's with all this "I'll hit you up" stuff - are you by any chance Tim Westwood?"

Thanks for that. Tea all over the keyboard now.
  • pride4ever
    Rolf F wrote:
    pride4ever wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:
    pride4ever wrote:

Now, it may well be the case that my post was tripe (not for me to say!) but I think you'll find it definitely was coherent. It wasn't me that wrote " when you can lose a stone and ride on deep section in your face monsters" :lol:

(and what's with all this "I'll hit you up" stuff - are you by any chance Tim Westwood? :wink: )

Are you always this stiff?
  • rolf_f
    pride4ever wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:
    pride4ever wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:
    pride4ever wrote:

Are you always this stiff?

But of course, Old Fruit. British and all that, don't you know. If you can find a single, non stiff post of mine, I'll eat my (bowler) hat. What are the British renowned for if not for their stiffness? The Empire was founded on British stiffness and I'm damned if I won't be stiff til the day I die - and even then I'll be a stiff. :wink:
  • smidsy
    Rolf F wrote:
    What are the British renowned for if not for their stiffness?

Queuing I think :)
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,302
    smidsy wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:
    What are the British renowned for if not for their stiffness?

Queuing I think :)

Bad teeth...
    left the forum March 2023
  • rolf_f
    Ok, the British are renowned for their stiffness, queuing and bad teeth and that should be it. Are we done now? :lol:
  • fatdaz
    fatdaz Posts: 348
    Moaning about the weather
  • Forget about whether or not the rider is light enough to warrant/be eligible for/earn very light wheels; many of these wheels are not designed or built to withstand heavier riders; and even then 75-80kg is not light. It perturbs me somewhat that this concern doesn't seem to be very important in this thread!
  • smidsy
    Forget about whether or not the rider is light enough to warrant/be eligible for/earn very light wheels; many of these wheels are not designed or built to withstand heavier riders; and even then 75-80kg is not light. It perturbs me somewhat that this concern doesn't seem to be very important in this thread!

Oh how I have tried to make this point in many a thread.

If the reponses are consistent you will now be flamed more that a Burger King Whopper Burger! :roll:
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • smidsy wrote:
    Forget about whether or not the rider is light enough to warrant/be eligible for/earn very light wheels; many of these wheels are not designed or built to withstand heavier riders; and even then 75-80kg is not light. It perturbs me somewhat that this concern doesn't seem to be very important in this thread!

Oh how I have tried to make this point in many a thread.

If the reponses are consistent you will now be flamed more that a Burger King Whopper Burger! :roll:

This should be a good night then! :lol: