Becoming a yorkshireman, opinions on locations to move to.

Briggo
Briggo Posts: 3,537
edited March 2013 in The hub
Landed a new job in Leeds city centre, I'll be moving up in a couple of months from Norwich. As you can imagine this has made me a happy bunny as I'll get to ride up and down these things they call hills.

So I'm after some help from the local Yorkshiremen to guide me on places to live, wife will be working at the York office so location wise ideally somewhere in between.

I don't want to live in Leeds/York, had enough of city life. Commuting no more than an hour ideally for either of us, but if it involves plenty of great riding close by I may be persuaded.

At first glance - Harrogate/Wetherby or surrounding villages looks central to both cities but nearer the Dales, any recommendations? Is Pateley Bridge too far for such a commute?

The absolute best location would involve decent routes right on the doorstep. Where is there to ride locally, so far I've seen Stainburn forest as a trail type centre and of course the dales nearby, anywhere else to help me choose a location?

Oh and any clubs about in the area to show me some good trails and where I can get a good pint?

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I used to live in York - isn't really your typical city, is a lovely place to live with lots of beautiful surrounding villages. Totally different from Leeds. But it is flat, and you'd have to travel a fair distance to decent trails.

Harrogate is also a very nice place to live, but bloody expensive!
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Pateley Bridge is going to be over an hour commute to York especially in winter if there is snow. To Leeds is nearer but the traffic will be much worse so again I would say over an hour commute.

What about Otley nice and near to Leeds probably about 50 to 60 mins to York and a bit cheaper than Harrogate, plus there are direct buses and not too far away is Menston station where you can get a train to Leeds and Bradford. Only downside to Otley is Leeds/Bradford airport isnt too far away and you might get a bit of plane noise depending on wind direction.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Beeston is pretty nice, not too far out.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    To be honest, even some of the villages further south are worth looking at. Sheffiled to York on the A1M is 50 mins travel.
  • Briggo
    I guess nearer Sheffield way would mean nearer Peak District...

Hmmm, I'll take a look at the other suggestions. I've heard commuting around Leeds is pretty bad so want to factor that in. I'll probably be looking at getting the train by one of the stations just outside Leeds in as parking is crap in city.

Cheers guys keep em coming.
  • If you don't mind a slightly longer commute, I'd probably also look at somewhere like Skipton.

You can get trains direct to York and Leeds, about 40min to Leeds and 80min to York.

Lovely place to live, and literally, right on the doorstep of the dales.
  • Wetherby is nice and placed between York and Leeds with easy access to the A1M and the A64 .
    Chunkers1980 should Have put these :D:wink: after is post As Beeston is a shit hole and to be avoided at all costs.
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    Wetherby is nice and placed between York and Leeds with easy access to the A1M and the A64 .
    Chunkers1980 should Have put these :D:wink: after is post As Beeston is a shoot hole and to be avoided at all costs.

i have family in wetherby. nice place :)
  • homers_double
    homers_double Posts: 8,019
    Littleborough/ Walsden/ Todmorden/ Hebden Bridge are all on the leeds mainline, journey time is about 1 hour & 5 mins.

You'll be in the middle of the pennines with loads of riding litteraly on your doorstep and house prices/rent is reasonable.

M62 is also on your doorstep if you want to drive.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • Briggo
    Littleborough/ Walsden/ Todmorden/ Hebden Bridge are all on the leeds mainline, journey time is about 1 hour & 5 mins.

You'll be in the middle of the pennines with loads of riding litteraly on your doorstep and house prices/rent is reasonable.

M62 is also on your doorstep if you want to drive.

Good suggestions as I know theres some awesome riding that way, the Mrs doesnt fancy the commute to York though.