Marin Quad Link Suspension Issue

jimmy23cricket
jimmy23cricket Posts: 59
edited March 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
My 2009 Wolfridge has developed odd play at the very top end of the suspension stroke. I have had it to my LBS and he has replaced the bushings (twice), checked and loctited the pivot bolts (once) which sorts it out but after 1 or 2 rides, the play returns. Have checked for frame cracks etc and there are none.

It's difficult to explain but when the suspension is not under load and at "rest" so to speak, there is a little up and down looseness which you really feel when unweighting the suspension while riding. Also, in my experience small play tends to become big play after a while!

My local mechanic is stumped and he is trying Marin direct but I thought I would check on here if anyone has experienced something similar and if so does anyone know the cause and fix.

Cheers

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    place a hand over each and every link/pivot and unweight the saddle and feel for the play.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • mike23864
    mike23864 Posts: 54
    I've had this too. It wasn't the suspension bushes it was the linkages. Put bike in a stand and remove back wheel which unweights the suspension system. Put your hand on the lower rocker while you lift the swinging arm. You will feel the play if there is any. Repeat on upper linkage. You need to make sure that all the washers have been put back when the suspension was taken apart as the linkage is reliant on them to activate the bearings. It may be that the bearings have seized (they have a lifetime warranty)