Please help with my dissertation (Short Questionnaire)

georgebrailsford
georgebrailsford Posts: 23
edited March 2013 in The hub
Hello,
I'm currently doing my final year dissertation at university.

My research is focussing on gender disparity within mountain biking, or "why women don't mountain bike as much as men".

As part of my research i am collecting data about peoples riding habits in order to compare the responses from men and women.

If you could spare 5 minutes i'd appreciate if you could fill in the questionnaire i have produced (Link below).

http://freeonlinesurveys.com/s.asp?sid= ... xkox217743

Thank you for your time :)

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Done - not sure of the point of it though!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • pesky_jones
    pesky_jones Posts: 2,890
    Done - not sure of the point of it though!
    +1
  • danlikesbikes
    danlikesbikes Posts: 3,898
    Completed, hope it helps
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • Done - not sure of the point of it though!
    +1
    On their own the results won't prove or show anything. When grouped together and put through a statistical analysis software, it will support or disprove other research that has been conducted around road cycling.

Specifically it should challenge or support the findings;

Women are not encouraged to cycle as children to the same degree as men,
    Women are less competitive when cycling than men and participate for social reasons more than male participants,
    Women are less likely to participate in mechanical tasks than men,
    Women are often encouraged or "goaded" into cycling above their ability when riding with men.

These seem like quite stereotypical claims, but they are backed up by research. My research is aiming to highlight barriers women face to participating in mountain biking and ways that the barriers can be avoided or their influence reduced.

Thanks for the input :)
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Maybe there should be an anti study to why men don't take up knitting or pilates ;-).
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,871
    done
  • danlikesbikes
    supersonic wrote:
    Maybe there should be an anti study to why men don't take up knitting or pilates ;-).

might be hard to complete though as were always racing XC :D
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Pilates is great, just stand at the back eyeing up the tasty ones in front without getting clocked by the misses - sorted!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • danlikesbikes
    Pilates is great, just stand at the back eyeing up the tasty ones in front without getting clocked by the misses - sorted!

Your going old skool there then - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_fCqg92qks hope the other half doesn't catch you