cassette compatiblity

chatlow
chatlow Posts: 848
edited March 2013 in Road beginners
Hi I'm very new to all this and loving my new commute to work. Just need some advice on buying a new cassette.

I have a 2011 claud butler san remo. it has a 13/26 tooth 8-speed cassette, 39/50 tooth chainset and shimano 2300 rear deraiileur.

I was looking at a cheap shimano hg-51 8 speed 11/28 replacement cassette. Would this work with my bike? Be nice to have a p!ss easy gear for the dodgy hills around here and a slightly faster gear when needed.

Would get a new chain to go with it so would a KMC Z8S 8 speed work?

Sorry to post a question on my initial post!

Thanks,
Rod

Comments

• keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Should be a straight swap. And the KMC 8 speed chain will be fine. Just make sure it's the right length having installed the new cassette.
  • zx6man
    zx6man Posts: 1,092
    2300 rear mech max teeth is 26 I think, so maybe you would need to get a tiagra 4600 rear mech
  • chatlow
    thanks all. sounds like the deraiileur is just about ok with it.. hope the crank will be. wont open the chain box until i have the new cassette then. is there an easy way to work out what size chain i will need?
  • zx6man
    oxoman wrote:
    My 2300 rear mech is currently running a 11 to 28 rear cassette no problem, i think it was a couple of links extra on the chain, but i replaced the chain at the same time as the cassette anyway.

Ox, got a pic of it on the 28T? If its ok I may well get myself a 28T.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    You could conceivably have to fiddle with the B screw to ensure the upper jockey wheel doesn't foul the largest sprocket, but I'm pretty sure it will work.
  • i believe the carrera tdf is 2300 and thats my bike and i have had no problems when i got a 11-28 fitted but 28 is the max it will go to before you need change the rear mech.
  • zx6man
    i believe the carrera tdf is 2300 and thats my bike and i have had no problems when i got a 11-28 fitted but 28 is the max it will go to before you need change the rear mech.

Yeah its my tdf I am referring to.

Will check out the prices for the 28 then, thanks
  • philwint
    philwint Posts: 763
    i believe the carrera tdf is 2300 and thats my bike and i have had no problems when i got a 11-28 fitted but 28 is the max it will go to before you need change the rear mech.

My old bike is the tdf, and I managed to get it working ok with a 34 (iirc - might be 32) tooth MTB cassette. With that it's just about the same as a "normal" cassette and compact chain rings (according to my maths - which could well be wrong!).

It turned it from a killer on the hills to being quite rideable. I didn't even replace the chain, you just have to be a bit sensitive when changing to the 34/52 combination. In fact I tried to avoid it, which was fine.

I do realise it is well over the 28T spec, of the mech. But just sayin' it worked for me

The 'trick' was to screw the B-Adjust screw right in. When I get round to it i intend to make the tdf more of a tow path hack with a tripple, mudgaurds, and 32mm tyres.

Anyway - a couple of snaps i just took with the phone to show you (sorry - it's filthy)

f6103adc87fd11e2b59022000aa80136_7.jpg

1769a66e87fe11e2b41022000a9f1899_7.jpg
  • zx6man
    its a 26T spec, thanks for pics Phil, but that Jockey is quite close.

I can get up most hills ok (holme moss etc) on the 34/26 but was nice to know ( I have a 50/34 2300 compact on mine at the moment)
  • chatlow
    deciding between the 11/28 and the 12/27 to go with my 39/50 chainring. all this research just to keep the 2300 deraiileur and now it's making a grinding noise - a week after cleaning it!
  • chatlow
    ordered the 11-28 cassette. will i need to add links to the z8s chain i have just bought?
  • chatlow
    philwint wrote:

My old bike is the tdf, and I managed to get it working ok with a 34 (iirc - might be 32) tooth MTB cassette. With that it's just about the same as a "normal" cassette and compact chain rings (according to my maths - which could well be wrong!).

It turned it from a killer on the hills to being quite rideable. I didn't even replace the chain, you just have to be a bit sensitive when changing to the 34/52 combination. In fact I tried to avoid it, which was fine.

I do realise it is well over the 28T spec, of the mech. But just sayin' it worked for me

The 'trick' was to screw the B-Adjust screw right in. When I get round to it i intend to make the tdf more of a tow path hack with a tripple, mudgaurds, and 32mm tyres.

Anyway - a couple of snaps i just took with the phone to show you (sorry - it's filthy)

f6103adc87fd11e2b59022000aa80136_7.jpg

1769a66e87fe11e2b41022000a9f1899_7.jpg

11-28 cassette arrived today and I tried fitting it. Unfortunately the RD is tocuhing the 28 sprocket and thats with the b-set screw all the way in! how on earth you did it with a 32 is beyong me. Maybe a longer b-set screw? anyway, looks like I am stuck with a max 26 sprocket..
  • Finlaz22
    Finlaz22 Posts: 169
    That's unusual. I've got a 39/52 and run an 8spd SRAM 11-28 cassette no problem (with Shimano 2300). No need for any tinkering with the chain either. Must have just been lucky...
  • chatlow
    Finlaz22 wrote:
    That's unusual. I've got a 39/52 and run an 8spd SRAM 11-28 cassette no problem (with Shimano 2300). No need for any tinkering with the chain either. Must have just been lucky...

hmm, the only thing I can think of is that the b-set screw or associated spring is knackered as I am not getting a noitceable amound of movement when screwing it in. I'm sure I used to!

Rather than replace the RD I think I will send this 11-28 back and get another 13-26 or similar