Pro-Lite Bracciano wheelset or mavic kysrium ellite

ithymanbags
ithymanbags Posts: 26
edited March 2014 in Road buying advice
Hi,.

Im looking for a wheelset which is light, allround but swaying more to climbing than areo.
Anyone have some advice. My weight 65kg, bugdet £400 thanks

Comments

• ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    The PRO lite Bracciano are an overpriced version of the Planet X AL 30... given the latter are half price it is a no brainer.

The Ksyrium have better bearings and are generally regarded as very durable, but in the unlucky case they turned out not to be, then spares are extremely expensive and often hard to source.
    The PX can be fixed with standard parts if you are on a budget.

All the rest, glossy magazine reviews, claims of performance are a bunch of crap that you can ignore.
    I know where my money would go... :wink:
    left the forum March 2023
  • unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864
    I bought Braccianos when they were 180 quid from Ribble, they've gone up a lot since! I've done maybe 3-4000 miles on them on some fairly dodgy roads and they're still 100% true and smooth. Very good wheels indeed, but at the current price there are lots of equally good alternatives.

The Mavic's look to have an even higher build quality and I've heard the bearings are better (not that there's anything wrong with Pro-Lites). If you found the Braccianos at a good price I'd buy them. If money were no object I'd favour the Mavics.
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!
  • The PRO lite Bracciano are an overpriced version of the Planet X AL 30... given the latter are half price it is a no brainer.

The Ksyrium have better bearings and are generally regarded as very durable, but in the unlucky case they turned out not to be, then spares are extremely expensive and often hard to source.

All the rest, glossy magazine reviews, claims of performance are a bunch of crap that you can ignore.

Them al30 have had rear bearing problems which have put me off.
  • ugo.santalucia
    The PRO lite Bracciano are an overpriced version of the Planet X AL 30... given the latter are half price it is a no brainer.

Them al30 have had rear bearing problems which have put me off.

Seeing both brands use the same rebadged Novatec hubs, I would be surprised if the Bracciano were any better... in fact a friend has them and has replaced the bearings after about 4000 miles, which is not the end of the world... bearings cost 3 pounds each...

Magazines and websites make you think that all these brands make their own components, but beside Mavic, Shimano, Fulcrum and maybe a couple of others, it's all the same stuff... essentially Novatec or Bitex hubs and Kinlin rims... 100% Taiwanese products rebadged
  • unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864
    One of the things I like about the Pro-Lites and Mavics are the bearings, no messing with cup and cone servicing. My old MTB wheels use White Industries hubs, bearings cost 1.50 on ebay and take five minutes to change the pair.
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!
  • How about carbon 20mm clinchers from china, very light and 300 spuds get you a 1400g wheelset. Big risk? Will they climb well ?
  • How about carbon 20mm clinchers from china, very light and 300 spuds get you a 1400g wheelset. Big risk? Will they climb well ?

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.co.uk/viewit ... 1903510524
  • schlepcycling
    schlepcycling Posts: 1,614
    unixnerd wrote:
    I bought Braccianos when they were 180 quid from Ribble, they've gone up a lot since! I've done maybe 3-4000 miles on them on some fairly dodgy roads and they're still 100% true and smooth. Very good wheels indeed, but at the current price there are lots of equally good alternatives.

I have to agree with this, I got mine from Ribble for about the same price and have run them on my winter bike for a couple of years and like unixnerd they've stayed 100% true
    'Hello to Jason Isaacs'
  • Sammyw23
    Sammyw23 Posts: 627
    unixnerd wrote:

I have to agree with this, I got mine from Ribble for about the same price and have run them on my winter bike for a couple of years and like unixnerd they've stayed 100% true

+2

Bought them 2 summers ago for £200ish and they are now makeshift winter wheels. Have taken over 5,000 miles and one crash and are still running well. Bearings were replaced at start of winter after about 4,000 miles.
    Cervelo P3
    Bianchi Infinito
    Cannondale CAAD10
  • pmannion9
    pmannion9 Posts: 286
    Sorry for Hijacking thread...

What replacment bearings do I need for the Pro-Lites.
    Want to put some new ones in mine..
    Thanks...
  • ugo.santalucia
    pmannion9 wrote:
    Sorry for Hijacking thread...

What replacment bearings do I need for the Pro-Lites.
    Want to put some new ones in mine..
    Thanks...

You should remove the caps and measure the inner and outer diameter of the bearings...

I am guessing 28x15x7 and 24x15x5 at the rear... something like that...
  • The PRO lite Bracciano are an overpriced version of the Planet X AL 30... given the latter are half price it is a no brainer.

Except they're not - they're about 300g lighter so for my money well worth the extra. 50p per gramme is excellent value if you're into the WW game. I've had these wheels, Planet X's, R500s and RS80s. The Pro-Lites are the best by far. Well over 5000km, London, Essex and Spanish roads, all weathers, no problems. Still straight and smooth. Possibly not for heavy riders though as they flex a little when pushing hard out of the saddle.
  • snowley
    snowley Posts: 149
    OK then.....
  • I have found that no one agrees about much on this forum. I finally set my mind on a set of wheels after great endorsements from knowledgeable forumites and then other equally experienced ones turn up with reasons not to buy said wheels. I have just decided to take advice as far as possible but ultimately learn for myself by experience what wheels, tools, clothing or spoke nipple work best for me.
  • ugo.santalucia
    You guys realise that this thread is over 1 year old and the OP has probably bought the wheels by now... :wink:
  • Then he should come back and tell us the result. A bit like 'Gordon Ramsey Kitchen Nightmares revisited'.
  • ugo.santalucia
    I doubt he will... his last post is dated April 5th 2013