Selling a bike - Should i service?

ukg3pxc
ukg3pxc Posts: 37
edited March 2013 in Road beginners
Thinking of selling my 3 year old bike. I'd say its in average condition and worth about £300.

Do you think if i paid my LBS to service it i'd recoup that cost on the sale?

Or is it best just selling as seen?

If i was keeping it, it would be getting serviced...

Comments

• danlikesbikes
    danlikesbikes Posts: 3,898
    Depends on what you class as average, but if its in pretty sound mechanical order then you probably wont recoup the outlay.

Good bit of elbow grease into cleaning/lubing it up, use a bit of furniture polish to give it a nice shinny look & you should be good to go. If your a bit OCD like me, take the wheels out, tyres off and give them a good clean up too.
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • styxd
    styxd Posts: 3,234
    Not worth getting your LBS to service it.

Do it yourself, or at least make sure the gears/brakes are working, and its clean. Could be worth replacing cable inners and bar tape if you can be bothered (it'll only cost a tenner)

If i was buying a 2nd hand bike and it wasn't working properly, then I wouldnt pay your asking price.
  • ukg3pxc
    ukg3pxc Posts: 37
    If your a bit OCD like me, take the wheels out, tyres off and give them a good clean up too.

Nice tip cheers. will get a tooth brush in to everything!

i think you're both right. its very rideable (i was out on it last weekend) so i think making it as shiny as possible is the best option! The bar tape is black and in decent condition so i may stick with it

Cheers
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Definitely wouldn't recoup the cost of an LBS service. The cleaner the bike, the more likely you'll get what you're looking for price wise.