First proper bike - should there be user guides / manuals

antiguaman
antiguaman Posts: 13
edited March 2013 in MTB beginners
I bought my first proper mountain bike a Kraken from Halfords (yes maybe that's where the problem begins), got a pretty good deal reduced online to £429 plus an extra 10% off so £386

My dad went and collected this for me yesterday evening, whilst I was at work

Whilst I'm happy with the overall look of the bike (like a kid at Christmas cant wait to get home from work to ride it for the 1st time) the only paperwork I received was the PDI, and a receipt

Surely there should be some guides, owners manual / assembly and warranty information supplied with the bike

I would imagine if this had been a home delivery there would have been or how else would I have put this together

Ok, I'm fairly tech savvy and can probably work most things out, but there's a lot of tech on this I'm not that familiar with even down to gear shifters, tyre pressures / valves etc, and I would have expected to have received more info overall on these areas

Just wondering if this is the norm (with Halfords) or what I should have received before I give them a call

Comments

• benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    Yes there should be, but they are always generic and totally useless as a rule. Halfords should have given you a fist full of booklets when you collected the bike.

For all your questions, best bet is to post here, or see parktools.com or sheldonbrown.com
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • danlikesbikes
    danlikesbikes Posts: 3,898
    benpinnick wrote:
    Yes there should be, but they are always generic and totally useless as a rule. Halfords should have given you a fist full of booklets when you collected the bike.

For all your questions, best bet is to post here, or see parktools.com or sheldonbrown.com

^-^ spot on advice.

Even on my race MTB which cost me an arm and a leg the owners manual was pretty useless TBH, apart from the space for an approved service stamp to keep within the warranty terms.

If you do want one why not pop a email of to Halfords saying you love the bike but are disappointed not to have received at purchase. They are despite what people say a pretty good bunch and should be able to sort it out for you.
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • Just spoken to them, and to be honest they were pretty apologetic - and said just pop in and they will provide me with all relevant info

Which as said will probably be of little use, but may have something I'm not aware of

To be honest, it does look a bit daunting at the moment, don't even know how the gear shifters work :lol:
  • danlikesbikes
    There you go - all the crap that people give them & they simply resolve it for you like that.

Plus as you now have it, if you opt to sell the bike at least you have all the original paperwork to go with it.

Shifters are SRAM on this model? Plus what else do you want to know forks etc?
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • There you go - all the crap that people give them & they simply resolve it for you like that.

Plus as you now have it, if you opt to sell the bike at least you have all the original paperwork to go with it.

Shifters are SRAM on this model? Plus what else do you want to know forks etc?

Thanks yep SRAM X5 , just wondering how I actually operate them with the 4 levers, 2 each side?
  • dhobiwallah
    dhobiwallah Posts: 272
    One for the front rings, one for the rear. On each side one lever will go up the gears (bigger rings) and one will go back down (smaller). Pedal round a car/ park quiet street for 5 mins and have a play - you will wonder what you were confused about!
  • One for the front rings, one for the rear. On each side one lever will go up the gears (bigger rings) and one will go back down (smaller). Pedal round a car/ park quiet street for 5 mins and have a play - you will wonder what you were confused about!
    Cheers
    That was my plan..........and then throw myself over the handle bars when i hit the hydraulic brakes just a touch too hard :lol:
  • danlikesbikes
    One for the front rings, one for the rear. On each side one lever will go up the gears (bigger rings) and one will go back down (smaller). Pedal round a car/ park quiet street for 5 mins and have a play - you will wonder what you were confused about!

^-^ Pretty much that simple.

Levers are for up & down changes & one set for the front changes and one for the rear. Once you get your head round it they are pretty easy to use & you can adjust the position if you need to make them more comfortable to use.

As above find a car park or quite road/bike path and have a play just to get used to the up down. You'll pretty soon be changing without thinking.
  • b45her
    b45her Posts: 147
    my canyon strive arrived with the individual manuals for every single component and the bleed kits for the reverb and elixir brakes.
    ribble sportive for the black stuff

Canyon Strive AL 8.0 for the brown and green stuff.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The bikes arrive at Halfords with paper manuals for most things and a CD for the suntour forks, however having had several bike boxes from Halfords it seems rare for them to give the manuals out as each time they are still in the boxes!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • oxocube1
    oxocube1 Posts: 651
    Yea this is an issue I've come across at a few stores i've worked/been to. My current store never used to provide them either, but when I moved up here a few months back, I persuaded them to give them out as you have no leg to stand on if somebody comes back with a warranty issue, as they can claim they did not know the full terms of the warranty due to not having a handbook for the bike.
    I don't really see the hassle of putting a few bits of paperwork into the wallet and handing it over on collection! It belongs to the customer just as much as the bike does.
    Any manuals for the parts on your Kraken can be found on the manufactures websites; SRAM and Suntour
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I've bought 2 bikes (used) that were Evans supplied and they are very good, they provide an Evans logo's folder and put everything in that with a service record sheet, etc etc Must be good as both owners had kept them!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • yep same here, didnt get manuals from halfords, didnt really care though
  • benpinnick wrote:

^-^ spot on advice.

Every bike I've owned I have followed the manuals for setting up the gears, brakes and forks (Shimano, Magura, Formula, Rock Shox) and everything has always performed flawlessly.

I do wonder if a lot of the problems people have with setting up kit is due to them not being bothered to RTFM.
    I'm shortly going to put this to the test by purchasing a bike with Avid brakes. :lol:
    Wheelies ARE cool.

Zaskar X