Did I get the wrong size?

iamcami
iamcami Posts: 93
edited March 2013 in Road beginners
Awrite folks.

Just picked up a Triban 3 from Decathlon earlier today. I'd reserved the size 57cm cause on their (fr) site they have a measurement thing that tells you 57cm for heights between 175-183 and 60cm for 184-191cm and im around 182cm. So the high end of the 57cm. When i went to pick it up they guy looked at me and pretty much assumed i needed the 60cm, got me to try it etc. Then gave me the 57cm and it did feel small in comparison. But he didn't adjust the saddle etc on either. So I went with the 60cm... Bear in mind this is my first roadbike and one of the first times iv ever ridden one. I cycled it home, about 13 miles. And I noticed a sort of slight strain on my lower back and my neck. Also the handlebars were weird to me etc. I'm comfortable on the normal middle bit but the drops are new to me and seemed far away.

So am I mixing up the size issue with just the different bike issue seeing as iv only ridden MTB's my whole life?

I will say it was fun picking up speed on the road bike, great fun.

Comments

• Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    It is hard when you buy for the first time because you don't know how a bike should feel and that view changes as you develop anyway. It is difficult to get things perfectly right without trying properly because we are all slightly different in terms of proportion and different manufacturers have different sizes for different models, so all 56's across a range won't be the same. Having said that, I am 5'10 (180?) and a 54 Allez fits me perfectly. Going by that, a 60 for you does sound one size too big, but perhaps not.

My first road bike was a size too big (56) and it felt kind of wrong from day one (I went in with a 54 in my mind but the bike sizing, which consisted of me sitting on the bike leaning against a wall with one hand whilst the shop assistant judged how straight my other arm was, apparently meant I needed a 56 :roll: ). I ended up faffing about with stems/bars/set up endlessly until I was given a smaller size bike a coupl eof years later and I went "wow". I swapped the 56 for a 54 and , after the initial setup, have never adjusted it since. A smaller frame feels like you can throw it around whereas a slightly larger frame offers a little more stability, IME.

It might be worth chatting to the shop before you ride the bike any more. Perhaps they can set up a turbo for you to spin on, perhaps a ride around the block? Not sure what your options are now that you have ridden the bike though, who would want to buy a 'brand new' bike that someone else has ridden home in the rain? Worst case scenario, you can always adjust the bike you have by getting a slightly smaller stem and moving it up/down the stack but the saddle position should be set for your legs, not your arms.
  • defycomp2
    defycomp2 Posts: 252
    It could be that it's because you are new to road bikes but I would say that a 57 frame is plenty big enough for you at 6'00" tall and a 60 will be vast and cause you to stretch too much.

But it's not just your height but the combination of your torso v your leg length. Short body & long legs go for a smaller frame. Long body & short legs means a larger frame. I'm 5'11" and have a 54 frame.

Try this site http://www.competitivecyclist.com and use the fit calculator.
    Summer - Giant Defy Composite 2 (Force 22) (retd)
    Cannondale Synapse Sram Red ETap
    Winter - Boardman CX Team (Rival X1 Hyd)
  • frazered
    frazered Posts: 333
    I am 6ft 1 and the 57 is plenty big for me. The 60 felt vast when I sat on it. Check the your stats above, but from what you said you might be happier on the 57
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    Funny I'm 5'10" and I'm happy on my 56 Allez - so it is very much a personal thing (perhaps I have a longer torso or arms?)

You could try the rough size check, sit on the bike with hands on the hoos and look at the front hub - it should be hidden behind the bars. I think that's how it goes.
  • iamcami
    Thanks for the replies.
    DefyComp2 wrote:
    it's not just your height but the combination of your torso v your leg length. Short body & long legs go for a smaller frame. Long body & short legs means a larger frame. I'm 5'11" and have a 54 frame.

Well I'm pretty sure I'm long body short legs which is a plus. I'll try out that fit calc when I can get someone to help.
    Slowbike wrote:
    You could try the rough size check, sit on the bike with hands on the hoos and look at the front hub - it should be hidden behind the bars. I think that's how it goes.
    I tried that. Depending on my posture/hand position, they were hidden or below the bars. I had to kinda stretch to get it above the bars visually.

My arms aren't straight when im on it. Got a slight bend, so not stretching. Which is pretty much the same as when I'm on my size MTB.

I'm not really sure what my position is with the shop. I'd hope they would be understanding. I did reserve and pay for the 57cm the day before yesterday. So it's DSR i think within the first 7days. Also the guy kinda made me go with the 60cm yesterday so I could just say I didn't understand him and didn't realise he gave me the 60cm :P

It seems you guys think it's better to be at the high end of the 57cm scale rather than stretching up to 60cm?

I feel fine today, back/neck wise but still not sure if that was size related or position change related. I'll give them a ring once they're open and see what they say.
  • I've read a lot of threads about people buying too big a Triban! I'm 178cm - 5'10" - and got the 57cm Triban in November based on their size chart and staff advice. I've had to change the 100mm stem to a 90mm and then a 80mm one and the bike feels OK now. Steering a bit weird to begin with, but you get used to it.

Maybe a 54 would have suited me better reach wise but I would have been showing a ridiculous amount of seatpost.

It may be that you just need to adapt. But personally if it's only been ridden once I'd take it back and try a 57 on one of their turbo trainers. Their customer service is great, wouldn't be surprised if they let you swap.
  • Gpfanuk
    Gpfanuk Posts: 142
    I am 5 ft 11.5" and have the 60. Thought it was too big also but since getting the fit right have done over 500 miles with no aches or pains (apart from an off last Sunday!) to speak of. I am a lot longer in the torso than average so that may be the reason why though... :)
    Muddy Fox Hardtail Circa 1998
    Triban3
    Felt AR5
    ANC Halfords Peugeot (restored and ridden at Eroica 2015)
    A box of bits that will make a fine Harry Hall when I get round to it.
    Raleigh tandem of as yet unknown vintage - ongoing restoration for Eroica 2016
  • prhymeate
    prhymeate Posts: 795
    DefyComp2 wrote:

I am 6'3 and bought the 63cm Triban 3 because it seemed that as soon as I mentioned my height to anyone they immediately said to buy the 63.

I've always felt it was a bit large and according to that calculator I would be more suited to a 58cm frame.... I already bought a shorter stem for my Triban so I'm not sure what else I can do. I don't really plan on buying another bike for another year at least so I guess I'm stuck.
  • goffski
    goffski Posts: 72
    I'm 6'1 and went with the 57 Triban 5. The size of the bike feels fine to me although i do get a bit of a pain in my right shoulder which i have now put down to my arms being too stiff while riding and not a sizing issue.
  • racingcondor
    racingcondor Posts: 1,434
    It's hard to say if it's too large just off your height. Leg length is very important as well and if you're more arm and body then the reach on the 60 may well be OK (must admit though, I'd tend towards going small rather than large and 60 is very large).

I also wouldn't worry too much about the aches and pains for now. It's a very different shape to the mountain bike and you'll have to spend a while adjusting.
  • Sprool
    Sprool Posts: 1,022
    oxoman wrote:
    What you could do is flip the stem so its angled up, this gives a slightly more relaxed ride and shortens the reach slightly. You can tilt the bars back slightly to help as well or even fit a shorter stem. Also most people riding road bikes spend 95% of their time on the hoods or across the bars and the remaining 5% of the time going hell for leather on the drops. As people have already mentioned it takes time to adjust to riding a road bike after MTB's or Hybrids.
    ^+1 for this, and give it a few weeks to get used to the very different riding position.
  • slowbike
    Sprool wrote:
    oxoman wrote:
    What you could do is flip the stem so its angled up, this gives a slightly more relaxed ride and shortens the reach slightly. You can tilt the bars back slightly to help as well or even fit a shorter stem. Also most people riding road bikes spend 95% of their time on the hoods or across the bars and the remaining 5% of the time going hell for leather on the drops. As people have already mentioned it takes time to adjust to riding a road bike after MTB's or Hybrids.
    ^+1 for this, and give it a few weeks to get used to the very different riding position.

That would be fine - but if it's the wrong size then what option does the OP have? at the moment it's got very little use and could be taken back in exchange for the one he ordered ...
    Of course, if it's the right size it's not an issue ...

Personally I'd call the shop and ask the manager/owners advice - probably with the intention of taking it back for a(nother) fitting ... and do this at the earliest opportunity ..

The OP mentioned the hub/handlebar size guide that it's inline or the hub is behind - I'd guess this means it is a bit of a stretch and could be rectified by a shorter stem, but the fit should've been checked by the shop ...
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    If the hub is seen behind the bars then its too big imo.
    No point in putting a shorter stem on. You would be better off getting the smaller one and putting a longer one on.

You are better having it too small, than too big as there are things you can do to get a good fit with a small frame, but not with one that is too big.
    Re-sale might not be an issue for you, but would have thought a 57 would be a lot easier to sell on too.

If you ordered a 57 and the guy talked you into a 60, then they should really swap it (and give you some free latex tubes to try for wasting your time).
    They could swap the wheels over if the tires look used.
    Just refer back to their sites size guide if they are not helpful.

Let us know how you got on ;-)
  • Post a pic of you on the bike. Side on.
  • Buckie2k5
    Buckie2k5 Posts: 600
    delete this.... i need to learn to read properly.
  • Sprool
    Sprool Posts: 1,022
    Carbonator wrote:
    Old wives tale
    No point in putting a shorter stem on. You would be better off getting the smaller one and putting a longer one on.
    Carbonator wrote:
    You are better having it too small, than too big as there are things you can do to get a good fit with a small frame, but not with one that is too big.
    what sort of things?
    Carbonator wrote:
    If you ordered a 57 and the guy talked you into a 60, then they should really swap it (and give you some free latex tubes to try for wasting your time).
    Agreed.
    Carbonator wrote:
    Eh?
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    I think as a consumer you have rights which ensure that what you buy is fit for purpose. You are still within those rights and I suggest that you enter into a meaningful dialogue with the shop that you bought the bike from
  • Might be worth measuring the effective top tube. My 54 triban comes up a resonable bit shorter than most of the other 54 size frames I have looked at in the net. It is sized more like a 52 as a comparison.

I have also recently gone from Mtb to getting a triban and it does take some time to get used to. After a good ten or so rides I have now decided I want a longer stem on my mtb because I now prefer being stretched out a bit more.

Other random things to consider are the Triban seat is a bit narrow for some and also the seatpost has a ribbed clamp on it which limits the options in regards to leveling.

If you have followed a decent guide to get your butt in the right place if the hoods feel more than a very little bit of a stretch I would suggest you may be better off sizing up from a smaller frame. I thought my bike was too big, then put a smaller stem on it and have now gone back to the original length but on a much higher rise as I have adjusted to being more stretched out.
  • iamcami
    Well the shop were cool about swapping it. I was in a hurry though so couldn't ask much. Got the 57 now. Will see how I get on with it later this afternoon. Had a wee shot in the shop and the hoods seemed easier on me now I think.

Thanks for all the feedback.

EDIT: Used a bit today and I'm definitely more comfortable on the 57cm. Feel much more comfortable on the "hoods" now and can reach the brakes easier. Didn't use the drops on this one though which I was using on the 60. Will try using them more next time. Was windy as fuck today so quite tough on me :P
  • thefd
    thefd Posts: 1,021
    Good on the shop to exchange with no problems!
    2017 - Caadx
    2016 - Cervelo R3
    2013 - R872
    2010 - Spesh Tarmac
  • Anonymous
    Sprool wrote:
    Carbonator wrote:
    Old wives tale
    Carbonator wrote:
    what sort of things?
    Carbonator wrote:
    Agreed.
    Carbonator wrote:
    Eh?

I'm no expert on bike fitting but it seems a good rule of thumb/basic guide. My bike would be huge if it was next size up and I could see the hub behind bars.

Like what? Such things as longer stem and different seat post if just setting up whats already there is not sufficient.
    Are you saying a frame that is too big is better then? If you were slap bang in the middle of two sizes would you not buy the smaller, lighter more controllable one?

I just figured the tires would show the main signs of any use, so if the shop moaned about it looking used and not re-saleable as new, they could quickly swap wheels over as OP only wanted smaller frame.
  • thefd
    thefd Posts: 1,021
    Carbonator wrote:
    Sprool wrote:
    Carbonator wrote:
    what sort of things?
    Carbonator wrote:
    Like what? Such things as longer stem and different seat post if just setting up whats already there is not sufficient.
    Are you saying a frame that is too big is better then? If you were slap bang in the middle of two sizes would you not buy the smaller, lighter more controllable one?
    I'm with you on this one Carbonator.
    2017 - Caadx
    2016 - Cervelo R3
    2013 - R872
    2010 - Spesh Tarmac
  • Anonymous
    Hey, thanks FD :D
    I dont really see what the option is to be honest, why would anyone get the size above ideal rather than below?
  • iamcami
    Had another ride on it today (was bloody snowing!) I'm glad I made this topic and the majority advised me in the direction of the smaller one. I'm really enjoying it. :)

I will need ot take it back in to get the gears tuned though. Had it slip a few times or not move when it's supposed to. And I'm incompetent with these things. Also realised iv got £6 on my loyalty card so need to find something to buy.
  • lc1981
    lc1981 Posts: 820
    Slowbike wrote:
    Funny I'm 5'10" and I'm happy on my 56 Allez - so it is very much a personal thing (perhaps I have a longer torso or arms?)

Presumably the Allez and the Triban don't have the same geometry, being from different manufacturers. Bike sizing isn't done to a uniform standard, so this comparison means very little.

Glad to hear this got sorted out though. As others have said, a bike that is slightly too small is preferable to one that is slightly too big, because more can be done to make it fit.
  • Anonymous
    iamcami wrote:
    Had another ride on it today (was bloody snowing!) I'm glad I made this topic and the majority advised me in the direction of the smaller one. I'm really enjoying it. :)

I will need ot take it back in to get the gears tuned though. Had it slip a few times or not move when it's supposed to. And I'm incompetent with these things. Also realised iv got £6 on my loyalty card so need to find something to buy.

That's great news :wink:

Assuming you have spare tubes etc. I would recommend spending that credit on peanut crunch Cliff Bars if they sell them :D (or just put towards a tyre upgrade if you have a nut alergy :( )

Weather is going to get better soon, so have fun getting the miles in on the new bike :P
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,163
    iamcami wrote:
    Well the shop were cool about swapping it. I was in a hurry though so couldn't ask much. Got the 57 now. Will see how I get on with it later this afternoon. Had a wee shot in the shop and the hoods seemed easier on me now I think.

EDIT: Used a bit today and I'm definitely more comfortable on the 57cm. Feel much more comfortable on the "hoods" now and can reach the brakes easier. Didn't use the drops on this one though which I was using on the 60. Will try using them more next time. Was windy as fark today so quite tough on me :P

In those conditions use the drops as much as possible!!
  • iamcami
    Pross wrote:
    iamcami wrote:

EDIT: Used a bit today and I'm definitely more comfortable on the 57cm. Feel much more comfortable on the "hoods" now and can reach the brakes easier. Didn't use the drops on this one though which I was using on the 60. Will try using them more next time. Was windy as fark today so quite tough on me :P

In those conditions use the drops as much as possible!!
    Noted. I used them a bit today. Was OK. Im just so used to normal style, getting used to the "hoods" where everything is controlled is my first focus.

Out of curiosity, why should I use the drops particularly in windy weather? To be more aerodynamic?
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    "Out of curiosity, why should I use the drops particularly in windy weather? To be more aerodynamic?"

Mainly that, yes. And to be more in control of the bike if there's a stiff, gusting crosswind.
  • slowbike
    lc1981 wrote:
    Slowbike wrote:

Presumably the Allez and the Triban don't have the same geometry, being from different manufacturers. Bike sizing isn't done to a uniform standard, so this comparison means very little.
    Just reviewed my post - I should've included what I was replying too - this was it ...
    Bobbinogs wrote:
    Having said that, I am 5'10 (180?) and a 54 Allez fits me perfectly.

My first road bike was a size too big (56) and it felt kind of wrong from day one (I went in with a 54 in my mind but the bike sizing, which consisted of me sitting on the bike leaning against a wall with one hand whilst the shop assistant judged how straight my other arm was, apparently meant I needed a 56 :roll: ). I ended up faffing about with stems/bars/set up endlessly until I was given a smaller size bike a coupl eof years later and I went "wow". I swapped the 56 for a 54 and , after the initial setup, have never adjusted it since. A smaller frame feels like you can throw it around whereas a slightly larger frame offers a little more stability, IME.

So 2 blokes of the same height prefer different sized frames from the same stable ... as said - it's a personal thing ... :)