old school bike being ragged round the trails

Simon photo
Simon photo Posts: 7
edited March 2013 in MTB general
hi, i have recently returned to the hills after a 15 year break and to do so i got myself an old tired trek zx7000 fitted with some, wait for it!......rockshox indy xc forks! (i guarantee some of you will have to google that model) anyhoo! i have stripped it down, serviced, replaced parts and even painted it old school style with rattle cans lol and its up and running with some baron 2.3 contis as its a bit wintery.
well its holding up really well! ive never been one to shy from off road duties, especially when it gets sketchy and downwards.
when the bike came out, perhaps 96???? i guess it was relativly good spec with xt bits and bobs but im guessing it was more of a hybrid than true mountain bike.
but its done 3 good runs now, first at brechfa, the gorlech trail and its done the y wal trail twice, the last run today.
what i want to know is how long do you think i can keep this up before any catastrophe? i mean, nothing about the bike shouts "thrash me downhill" but whats changed about the hills between then and now??
im sure i could commit to flat out with the right bike and not V BRAKES?!?!?! glide through the rock gardens on 150mm floats, keep the back end stuck down with a bit of travel and not skitting around under me like an angry bronco.
am i pushing my luck pushing this bike or has the evolution of bikes made things safer, faster and more reliable?

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Bikes today are more reliable, perform better, stiffer etc. But some of the older models are just fine, and certainly better than some of the entry level gash we see nowadays.

Ride on! My first bike had Indy XCs ;-)
  • yeah man i intend to keep it on the dirt, gotta get my fitness back tho! ive only been doing little bits of bmx and running during my gap 15 years. i did knock half hour off my time for y wal today so im on the right track i think.
    i have bought a gary fisher sugar frame to build a second bike, collecting some more up to date parts for that build.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    V-brakes! Think yourself lucky you whippersnapper :lol:

(nah but seriously, I use my 90s rigid mtb as a commuter, I have no plans at all to ever take it offroad again)
    Uncompromising extremist