Oil on the roads in London

Minglok74
Minglok74 Posts: 36
edited April 2013 in Commuting general
Cycling down Oxford Street towards Holborn this morning is bad enough on wet potholed roads usually, but has anyone else noticed the amount of oil on the road is making it extremely slippery and dangerous. Nearly wiped out a couple of times due to oil build up on my tyres!

Comments

• CStar
    CStar Posts: 63
    Same problem round Bracknell. Diesel/petrol/oil being dropped everywhere at the moment. Maybe it's just the damp roads showing it badly at the moment.
    MTB: Self-built Santa Cruz Highball Alloy 10 Spd Deore.
    Winter: Emmelle 1980's Reynolds Steel retro
    Summer: Specialized Secteur Elite w. upgrades.
    Commuter: Fausto Coppi San Remo
  • BigLights
    BigLights Posts: 464
    YES! glad someone else has noticed. Massive patches of diesel all over the place...came off once on Thursday night at about 1mph (phew), and was sliding all over the place on Friday.
  • ricnott
    ricnott Posts: 4
    I'v e noticed loads on the roads here in Nottingham. Maybe just noticing it more as the road surface is damp and the slick is showing up. After a decent amount of rain overnight this weekend I haven't seen as much. The road salt also appears to be disappearing with the rain.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Happening here too. After a week of dry weather all the road and rubber dirt builds up - add some fresh rain and it is like a skid pan.