Xt shadow rear mech

divingmoose
divingmoose Posts: 540
edited March 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi guys,

I am looking at a new rear mech and just wondered what the difference between the long cage and medium cage when choosing which one. Not sure what this means performance wise etc

Comments

• Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    You need to know the capacity and if that meets your setup.
  • divingmoose
    When you say capacity mate what does this mean
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    A longer cage will control the chain through a longer effective length change as you go from larger gears (more chain wrapped round it) to smaller (less and more flapping free without the rear mech to control it). A long mech will work where a short will, but a short won't work where you need a long!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    When you say capacity mate what does this mean
    (Big - small chainring) + (big - small cog on cassette) = range.
    Mech will have a capacity (info should be on sellers site, or techdocs)
    Capacity has to be greater or at least equal to range.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cooldad
    As a rough rule of thumb, triple needs long cage, double a medium, and single a short cage, but no guarantees.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • divingmoose
    Thanks guys
  • The Rookie
    cooldad wrote:
    As a rough rule of thumb, triple needs long cage, double a medium, and single a short cage, but no guarantees.
    Noting that one some Mechs Shimano now only do 2 lengths anyway as with 10 speed cassettes they need what would have been a 'medium' on a 1x10 setup.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • cooldad
    cooldad wrote:
    Noting that one some Mechs Shimano now only do 2 lengths anyway as with 10 speed cassettes they need what would have been a 'medium' on a 1x10 setup.
    Bah humbug, all this new fangled trickery. You'll be telling me they have clutch mechs next.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    Strictly its a friction damper and not a clutch, so I'll say no......
  • cooldad
    Strictly its a friction damper and not a clutch, so I'll say no......
    Aaah friction dampers I understand. As used on MGs and other fine modern motors.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    And very obviously stuck out the front of the old Bentley old boy....