Shredded thread on fork lowers?

MTB noob
MTB noob Posts: 272
edited March 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Just a quick question, can i possibly get a replacement lower for my fork (Suntour Raidon X3 LO) because my upper mount for my brake has been stripped of thread.

This definitely wan't due to over-tightening because I have a small allen key which will never pull out more than 5Nm of torque and it has only been removed 3 times.

I also haven't done anything to the fork that would void the warranty (apart from removing the lowers for cleaning but that won't be related to this problem)

My god road cycling is scary! I'm going to keep my relaxing rides to the trails where everything is green, fast and less crazy.

Comments

• snoopsmydogg
    snoopsmydogg Posts: 1,110
    Helicoil would be a cheaper option
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    how old are they?

Generally stripped threads are not covered as it is usually ham fisted assembly that causes it and you'll be very hard pressed to prove it arrived like that.

Do you have the cash on hand for an upgrade? that might be worth a punt.

Also, I wouldn't helicoil for lowers.
  • MTB noob
    The bike was only 5 months old which i wondered whether it was a factory problem. Also i wouldn't have enough to replace it.
    My god road cycling is scary! I'm going to keep my relaxing rides to the trails where everything is green, fast and less crazy.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    To find it was stripped you must have removed the bolt though? Then refit?

Helicoil, as above, is the best way.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Absolutely no help, but IS mounts rule.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Except when they crack (yes seen that) which leaves you no better off.....
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Giraffoto
    Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
    This may or may not be a daft suggestion:

Can you either get a new mount fabricated and welded on, or weld a bit more thickness around the mount to accommodate a helicoil?
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • cooldad
    Except when they crack (yes seen that) which leaves you no better off.....
    Yeah, single speed steel rigid is the only sensible solution.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • cooldad
    Giraffoto wrote:

Can you either get a new mount fabricated and welded on, or weld a bit more thickness around the mount to accommodate a helicoil?
    Presumably magnesium alloy lowers - a serious bugger to weld.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • MTB noob
    Yeah they're magnesium alloy and do you know what M size the bolts are for brake mounts? It's to make sure I get the right heli-coil size
  • Giraffoto
    Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
    cooldad wrote:
    Giraffoto wrote:

Presumably magnesium alloy lowers - a serious bugger to weld.

On the plus side, you'd have plenty of light to work by. I'd always assumed they were some sort of aluminium alloy - I should obviously pay more attention to the spec sheet.
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er