New Carbon Clincher wheels from Wheelsfar.com

VTech
VTech Posts: 4,736
edited March 2013 in Road beginners
Some pics of the new wheels from wheels far, they look pretty decent and our carbon guy reckons they seem top quality and would put them on his bike.

020rb.jpg
019exn.jpg
018icw.jpg
017xhg.jpg
016ocz.jpg
015dgp.jpg
014qcu.jpg
013fne.jpg
012dma.jpg
Living MY dream.

Comments

• flasher
    flasher Posts: 1,734
    Quick delivery (from China?) look bling, enjoy.
  • danlikesbikes
    danlikesbikes Posts: 3,898
    I saw you posted about them before & if you anything like me I'd be running round like a kid in a sweet shop.

Think they do look proper bling, but you know the rules you need them on the bike & photos :D
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    Had them on the scales yet?
  • pride4ever
    pride4ever Posts: 510
    No aluminium braking surface= no dice. Only for lunatics.
    the deeper the section the deeper the pleasure.
  • VTech
    1384g bare.
    Living MY dream.
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    pride4ever wrote:
    No aluminium braking surface= no dice. Only for lunatics.

Most carbon rims stop just fine in the dry and even in the wet they're not as bad as people think. The biggest danger is bursting tubes from the heat when riding the brakes on long descents, but even that's not a big issue if you can descend properly.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • VTech
    Ive done some reading and there is huge gains in the pads, if using pads with ceramic dust it lowers temps of braking surface by 90 degrees ! Ive gone with the Black Prince pads so these should do well I hope.
    Living MY dream.
  • VTech
    Getting rid of heat is always possible when Carbon is close at hand :)

brakeyy.jpg
    Living MY dream.
  • pride4ever
    I sold my HED Carbon DS wheels as they were dangerous in the wet, I live in Hill Central and it just wasnt worth me dying just to look good sadly.
  • pride4ever
    VTech wrote:

brakeyy.jpg

To make carbon wheels with that amount of space age heat retardent framing would set you back about £50.000 a pair .
  • VTech
    pride4ever wrote:
    VTech wrote:

brakeyy.jpg

To make carbon wheels with that amount of space age heat retardent framing would set you back about £50.000 a pair .

im not sure on the budget for these but money wasnt actually an issue on this section as most time saving comes from braking.
    Living MY dream.
  • elderone
    elderone Posts: 1,410
    Cracking wheels Vtech,enjoy them.
    Dulce et decorum est Pro patria mori
  • supermurph09
    supermurph09 Posts: 2,471
    Look very smart, might be a little difficult to handle??, be interested to know how you get on.
  • VTech
    Look very smart, might be a little difficult to handle??, be interested to know how you get on.

I think so and in reality it was more to do with the look than need. I am working away this weekend so will test them when I get back but ill be in some really hot countries over the summer so will be able to get fitter and stronger in better weather so hopefully will be more used to them by the time im back in the UK for the winter.
    Living MY dream.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    VTech wrote:
    1384g bare.

That's minus skewers isn't it? I think they are supposed to be well over 1500 with aren't they?
    Faster than a tent.......
  • VTech
    I think that was with the Chinese hubs, I went for different ones, I think a lot lighter ? originally I think they were 1530 +-30g.
    Living MY dream.
  • Grill
    Don't forget about rim tape...
  • mrbubbaman
    mrbubbaman Posts: 171
    Are they for your turbo trainer :mrgreen:

Sorry couldn't resist :lol:

They certainly look different.
  • VTech
    Grill wrote:
    Don't forget about rim tape...

I thought about this today, is any tape better than another ?
    Living MY dream.
  • Grill
    Veloplugs are best.
  • VTech
    cheers, just ordered a pack.
    Living MY dream.
  • Grill
    They come in two sizes so be sure you ordered the correct ones (red or yellow).
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    I was looking at these plugs when I got my Aeolus wheels, but read quite a lot about people getting punctures caused by the plugs rubbing on the tubes. I went for the tried and tested Velox cloth tape. It's a few grams heavier (literally 10-20g) so I'd rather carry that than risk punctures for no real benefit.
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • VTech
    i got the red ones, 8mm
    Living MY dream.
  • TakeTurns
    TakeTurns Posts: 1,075
    Good choice on the hubs!
    I have those on my Fast Forward tubulars. Sound and perform amazingly.

Are those 60mm deep? careful in the wind. Especially if you're going to be descending.

Choose your brake pads wisely!
  • Velonutter
    Velonutter Posts: 2,437
    VTech wrote:
    Ive done some reading and there is huge gains in the pads, if using pads with ceramic dust it lowers temps of braking surface by 90 degrees ! Ive gone with the Black Prince pads so these should do well I hope.

I'm really quite interested in your comments about the Ceramic dust in pads, can you recommend any makes that have this in or better still a link?

Have you a link to the web site for the wheels, as with those hubs the wheels are going to be great?
  • VTech
    Im only giving out info ive read but it did make sense as we also use ceramic in braking and it does indeed lower surface temps considerably. I think in reality it would need a more capable rider to get the best from them but I can get some surface heat samples and post back if it helps.
    I got the wheels from wheelsfar.com and the pads from bike-discount.com
    Living MY dream.
  • danlikesbikes
    danlikesbikes Posts: 3,898
    No pun intended but didn't see last night that you went with the red nipples, good choice think they look bloody brilliant. I am biased though as have a black bike with red flashes so fair enough to say I'm gonna like any shiny carbon wheels that fit that style.
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • Velonutter
    Velonutter Posts: 2,437
    VTech wrote:
    Im only giving out info ive read but it did make sense as we also use ceramic in braking and it does indeed lower surface temps considerably. I think in reality it would need a more capable rider to get the best from them but I can get some surface heat samples and post back if it helps.
    I got the wheels from wheelsfar.com and the pads from bike-discount.com

Cheers V-Tech, I've been using the Zipp Dual compound Pads as they can be used on Ally & Carbon, you just have to make sure you scrub the pads when switching from Ally.

They are good and so far have them on all my bikes for the last year, they are OKish in the wet, excellent in the dry, but generally I don't ride in the rain, but could be better.
  • VTech
    im definitely going to be doing some temperature tests, measuring the heat generated at certain load rates, this way i can see if the black prince are better in either wet or dry conditions.
    Living MY dream.