Avid elixir 3 - Sticky Pistons?

compo
compo Posts: 1,370
edited March 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi all

The pads on my Elixir 3s cam eot the end of their lives and so I am changing them.

I pushed the pistons back with a screwdriver (old pads in) and then put the new pads in. However the gap between the pads was not big enough for my rotor.

Therefore I swapped the pads back over and tried to push again, however, I can't get them to move any further.

What would be a solution to this? Preferrably quick as I'm off riding in Scotland at the weekend.
I have no DOT fluid either

Cheers :)

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Push harder.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    too much fluid in the system. let some out.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • pesky_jones
    pesky_jones Posts: 2,890
    Hi, have you tried cleaning the piston? May have crud on it which wont let it return properley.
  • compo
    I'm pushing as hard as I can, ie bending the screwdriver

I'll try cleaning the pistons.

To let the fluid out, do i just unbolt the calliper into two pieces and push the pistons a bit so some fluid dribbles out?
  • pesky_jones
    you can just undo the bleed port screw, drip a little oil off the screw and then put the screw back in. You dont want to loose too much fluid
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    compo wrote:
    I'm pushing as hard as I can, ie bending the screwdriver

I'll try cleaning the pistons.

To let the fluid out, do i just unbolt the calliper into two pieces and push the pistons a bit so some fluid dribbles out?
    NO.

have you ever bled any brakes?

just open on of the bleed ports and catch any fluid or you may contaminat some pads. use the bleed port on the lever.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • compo
    Nope, never bled brakes: pretty clueless in this field I'm afraid

I'll do as you say re bleed ports on the lever.

I'll report back in a bit
  • pesky_jones
    You'd be surprised how little fluid it takes. It's worth only letting a tiny amount of fluid out, and checking, untill you get it right - opposed to letting a whole load out and then not having enough fluid, and not being able to bleed.
  • compo
    Yeah I'll do it bit by bit.

Cheers for the advice guys :)
  • is one of your pistons sticking? take the pads out and place something between the pistons before you press the brake lever. Watch the pistons and see if they both move.

I have a boardman and it took me about 4 hours to sort out the pistons so the disc would slot in...
  • compo
    All sorted :)

I just let some fluid out of the bleed port and the pistons pushed all the way.

New pads rubbed when initially put in but after a few stop/starts they are fine

Thanks for the advice guys :)
  • pesky_jones
    compo wrote:
    All sorted :)

I just let some fluid out of the bleed port and the pistons pushed all the way.

New pads rubbed when initially put in but after a few stop/starts they are fine

Thanks for the advice guys :)

Glad to hear it worked out well mate. It seems avid elixirs and juicys are infamous for pistons that won't push back far enough.