One final decision

Stigger
Stigger Posts: 20
edited March 2013 in Road beginners
Hi all,

So I'm new to this road cycling malarkey, although have been commuting for 20+ years by bike so by no means new to biking. I have on the radar a fairly formidable ride towards the end of the summer, quite a few hill climbs and many long days so am beginning my training (on an ancient steel road bike)... I need a new bike.

I've basically narrowed my choices down to the (award winning) Giant Defy Advanced 2 or the Canyon Ultimate CF 9.0... the Canyon looks better on paper, but of course I cannot test ride it. Due to the nature of the challenge I'm looking for something comfortable (8hr+ days) and something agile for the hills.

Is there anything/anyone that can steer this final decision?

Thanks,

Stig

Comments

• NewTTer
    NewTTer Posts: 463
    Specialized Roubaix
  • Cubic
    Cubic Posts: 594
    There are a few road bikes out there aimed more at long ride comfort over out-and-out speed. The Giant Defy and Specialized Roubaix mentioned above are two. Some others to consider are the Cannondale Synapse, Trek Domane, Bianchi Infinito. There are more, try googling 'sportive bikes' and you should find more.

The Canyon you mentioned is designed for racing, so you may not find it as comfortable as say the Giant Defy.

Ultimately though, the best bike will be the one that fits you best. They all have different geometries, so I'd recommend test riding as many as possible and going for the one you enjoy the most.
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    Scott CR1 is also a good shout or you could go titanium.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • gloomyandy
    gloomyandy Posts: 520
    Will you need to carry anything with you on the trip? If so you may need to think about racks etc.
  • Stigger
    gloomyandy wrote:
    Will you need to carry anything with you on the trip? If so you may need to think about racks etc.

No, it's full supported
  • pride4ever
    pride4ever Posts: 510
    Bottecchia 8avio.../thread.
    the deeper the section the deeper the pleasure.
  • mrbubbaman
    mrbubbaman Posts: 171
    Bet this thread had made your choice harder, not easier :mrgreen:
  • Stigger
    mrbubbaman wrote:
    Bet this thread had made your choice harder, not easier :mrgreen:

Hmmmm... yup...

The Defy is a nice bike, comfortable, quick etc... I think I'm swept up by things like Ultegra vs 105, complete groupsets vs bitty mishmashes...
  • Camcycle1974
    Camcycle1974 Posts: 1,356
    Problem with the Defy now will be finding one. Giant pretty much sold out in the UK. A mate of mine has been trying to get an XL with no joy. Was told he had got one, paid deposit then they rang him to say actually Giant haven't got any left! No more coming in either. A funny situation to be in, only March and no more 2013 Defy Advanced 2's left. Same goes for the 1 in less popular sizes.