Thinking of buying a swissbike for commuting? Be careful ...

thirteenchars
thirteenchars Posts: 4
edited March 2013 in Commuting general
Hi

New to these forums. Just wanted to alert people to a design fault in the Montague Swissbike.

Been cycling up London commuting to and from work for 6 years without problem. Started off with a generic mountain bike with smooth tyres, but then the train companies cracked down on ordinary bikes and requested that only folding bikes be used. Couldn't get on with the Brompton and it's small wheel diameter, and I wanted a bike that I could also used at the weekend. I bought a swissbike. Absolutely fine for 4 years until on one very cold January morning it snapped in two with no warning at all. I was approaching Hyde Park corner in London and was extremely lucky to escape with my life.

Contributing factors to this may of been

Temperature. I store my bike in the house. The morning of the accident it was -4 degrees. Apparently aluminium is very susceptible to sudden temperature change and may of caused the accident?

Gears. I had upgraded to a shimano 8 speed hub with a 19 tooth sprocket. I had exactly the same range as the old 21 speed shimano.

I really couldn't live with myself if this happens to someone else, So I created a small website with detailed pictures of the damage.

Been stuck indoors with a broken foot since the 17th of January, and still on crutches. Can't wait to ride again, but the choices for someone who wants a full size mountain bike that folds quickly and easily and is light enough and strong enough for me are very limited. If anyone knows of any other models that they can vouch for please let me know.

Montague refuse to acknowledge me at all, after many emails to their UK suppliers I have decided to speak up about this.

http://thirteenchars.com

Thanks for your time.

Comments

• turnerjohn
    turnerjohn Posts: 1,069
    man thats proper nasty ! hope your recovering is going well.
    The damage looks like material fatigue or fatigue caused by a bad design. Aluminium will oxodise, corrode and fail and the area it broke looks prime location; in constant use this area is subjected to not just the weight of the rider but the constant movement of the swingarm from opening / closing and would also move / wear if not fully closed when riding.
    You should try the place you bought it from first (less that is got it direct?). Try writing letters and send them recorded delivery so that you have proof.
    If not could try small claims court (yourself) or go full out with a solicitors (CTC members have free legal cover which are top !)
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    Did you buy it new? If you have proof of purchase then they have a lifetime warranty...
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Sale of goods act applies as well......fit for purpose counts for upto 6 years or even more depending on what could be considered the normal lifetime.

Link doesn't go to your bike photo's or anything...not spam I hope?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Sale of goods act applies as well......fit for purpose counts for upto 6 years or even more depending on what could be considered the normal lifetime.

Link doesn't go to your bike photo's or anything...not spam I hope?

Link working fine - Just goes to a simple page with some pictures.

If they refuse to contact me then how can I get the ball rolling on the sales of goods act? Hire a lawyer I guess....
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Go to the CAB.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Did you buy it new? If you have proof of purchase then they have a lifetime warranty...

Bought brand new from their UK suppliers - Lifetime warranty normally has a caveat somewhere surely - and it's an american company with no actual registered office in the UK - Just a few suppliers. Don't know if that makes a difference.

Will try the CAB but they always have huge queues of people out the door and incredibly difficult opening hours. Phone constantly engaged.