Do you think...

bompington
bompington Posts: 7,674
edited March 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
... it's time for a new chain?

Comments

• JohnBurt
    JohnBurt Posts: 94
    Can't tel from the phote measure the length between 10 links : - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bicycle_chain
  • bompington
    Do you think the fact that it's possible to wrap it round the big ring sideways might be a clue?
  • turnerjohn
    turnerjohn Posts: 1,069
    bompington wrote:
    Do you think the fact that it's possible to wrap it round the big ring sideways might be a clue?

actually I had a chain like that that wasn't worn !
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613

It might be, but a) you can't, that's just a bit of a bend and;
    b) it's a clue, but not entirely indicative.

Sarcastic humour fail. Well done.
  • JohnBurt
    JohnBurt Posts: 94
    No not really as stated measure teh wear.
  • bompington
    Fair enough. Except that I would have thought that how much you can bend a chain is a measure of how worn it is, because you can only bend it when the pin has a larger hole than it needs?
    Given that the section of chain in the picture could easily bend through 90° when held, that makes about 6° per pin - a bit of middle school maths works that out as about 0.3mm of play per pin, or something over 2% stretch, which I think most would agree is due for replacement. Of course the fact that it broke under fairly light strain might also be relevant.

So thanks for all the snarky and condescending answers pointing out things I already knew. It amused me how much I could bend my chain and I'm sorry how much that offended some of you. I'll know better than to post light hearted pics in this part of the forum in future.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Not offended in the least, but if it makes you feel better about it you can pretend I am! Personally the second I clicked away I'd forgotten about your chain.
  • pesky_jones
    pesky_jones Posts: 2,890
    bompington wrote:

I think your first reply, if read in the wrong tone (which it probally was) sounds a bit sarcastic and patronising.

You seem to know a lot about this anyway maybe you already have your answer?