Front Hydro Disc Brakes Catch Slightly

jonoaskew
jonoaskew Posts: 4
edited March 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi, Complete bike newbie here....

Basically got my first bike in over 10 years today from Halfords.... http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... yId_165499

I had to remove the front wheel using the QR to get it in my car. When I got home the disc wouldnt fit into the brake pads at all. After a quick google a little fiddling i managed to carefully prize them open with a blunt end screw driver so i could get the wheel back on. Now it seems the wheel is slightly catching on the brake pads. The back one is totally smooth but the front manages around 1-2 rotations on a steady spin before coming to a hault.

I've tried moving the wheel to align it better and I can get it spinning freely before tightening the QR again and for it to move ever so slightly to just start catching again.

If anyone can shed some light on what to do next that would be great. Do I need to prize the break pads open a little wider or just persist on getting the wheel dead aligned. There doesn't seem to be an awful lot of room for manoeuvre to be honest, but I guess there wouldn't be anyway.

Cheers!!

Comments

• Could be a caliper centering issue. Put your wheel on, tighten the QR, then slightly loosen the brake caliper screws which hold it to the fork. Squeeze the brake lever a few times then hold it down whilst you retighten the screws. This should center the caliper on the disc.
  • Awesome, I'll try this in the morning! Thanks a lot!
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Or just ride it a bit ans let things bed in
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Was the brake lever pulled with the wheel out....sorry the brake lever was pulled with the wheel out, big no no....

I'd lever them further apart (all the way back) and start again.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • pesky_jones
    pesky_jones Posts: 2,890
    Could be a caliper centering issue. Put your wheel on, tighten the QR, then slightly loosen the brake caliper screws which hold it to the fork. Squeeze the brake lever a few times then hold it down whilst you retighten the screws. This should center the caliper on the disc.
    ^^^This.

Like the beginner said - the most likely cause was pulling the brake lever when the wheel was out, so the pads have got nothing to stop them going further and further forward! Just be carefull when the wheel is out.
  • Thanks everyone.....released the caliper and applied the brake before tightening and worked like a charm! I'll be more careful next time!