What is the ideal weight range?

2»

Comments

• rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    I don't think it will be long before DH bikes get under 30lb but I don't think it's worth the cost unless your racing at the highest level. I know fast DH racers who have spent loads of cash to loose a few pounds off their bike and their results haven't improved at all. I have ridden a Scalp with the same build and tyres as mine but with Enve carbon wheels and they did make a surprising difference, it builds speed faster than mine just under gravity and on the cranks it accelerates super fast.
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    I don't think it will be long before DH bikes get under 30lb but I don't think it's worth the cost unless your racing at the highest level. I know fast DH racers who have spent loads of cash to loose a few pounds off their bike and their results haven't improved at all. I have ridden a Scalp with the same build and tyres as mine but with Enve carbon wheels and they did make a surprising difference, it builds speed faster than mine just under gravity and on the cranks it accelerates super fast.

Basic physics, the lighter wheels will require less effort to get upto speed, I think wheel weight and un-sprung mass are the biggest areas you'd want to lose on a DH bike, money doesn't translate into results, ask the old toyota F1 team, but it will make a bike better if you use that cash on the right components
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    Trek have also made a 28lb session 9.9 with fairly standard kit and I dare say they could've gone even lighter... The new 2013 V10 front and rear ends are actually lighter than a nomad carbon too, so the scope is there and so are the components if you have the cash.
  • mine is 36pounds heavier than all of them
    :roll:
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    mine is 36pounds heavier than all of them
    :roll:

You resurrected a three year old thread for that?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    And presumably missed a comma, or rides a 60lb bike.

Punctuation is important, children.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Lightest I built was my Stumpjumper HT with 120mm Rebas.

Got it down to 11.2kg, replaced everything apart from the drive train. Even went to the extremes of titanium QR. Sure I could have got it lighter but then more £££.

Like everyone else says depends on your riding. 8 stone 11lbs, would you notice if you made it lighter?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I doubt he'll answer you. OP has been MIA since 2013, the same as this zombie thread.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • I doubt he'll answer you. OP has been MIA since 2013, the same as this zombie thread.

Ahh, I only looked at the first few posts then commented. How did it get up top if it is an old post?

Ok, seen someone resurrected the thread.