Carrying a shirt?

Drfabulous0
Drfabulous0 Posts: 1,539
edited March 2013 in Commuting chat
I am going for a job interview on Friday which is at least 25 miles away, I am cycling because I want to check out the route and see if it's realistic commuting that distance by bike, I currently ride just 5.5 miles each way.
Now normally I would wear a suit for a job interview but I don't see this is going to be practical, I have an Ortlieb Velocity rucksack that I will be using to carry my stuff and I have somewhere to change on arrival, I reckon this will probably be acceptable because it is a job in a bike shop and most folk in bike shops don't wear a suit and tie.
So how do I carry a shirt and pants without them getting all creased up and looking worse than if I went in my bib shorts and nothing else?

Comments

• patrickf
    patrickf Posts: 536
    I roll my shirt along with my trousers. I can't say they arrive 100% crease free but they're not too bad.

Personally I wouldn't cycle to a job interview - I just wouldn't take the risk and the extra stress. You'd also need somewhere to change - that probably doesn't look great with the potential employer at an interview.

Why not cycle it on a separate occasion?
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Fold shirt in half down buttons with sleeves together on one side. Lay the shirt on your trousers and then roll the lot up.

Put in bag.

A lot less creased than and other firm if folding.

BTW 25 miles each way is a chuffing long way. I've done it before but wouldn't do it again.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • Drfabulous0
    Hmm, perhaps I should catch the train there and cycle back, if I were to be offered the job I may well get the train home at first anyway, although it isn't much quicker.
  • wgwarburton
    wgwarburton Posts: 1,863
    Hi,
    Don't know your situation/job/interview skills etc but my generic advice is:

Get the train there and show up looking like you really want the job- fresh, smart, keen.

Use the interview as a two-way conversation- it's as much about whether you want to work for them as whether they want you to. Ask about the job (not about the T's+C's at this stage), try and find something in common with the interviewer (unless they are just HR...).

Then ride home and suss out the route.

25 miles each way is a lot of time on the bike. You can adjust to the physical demands reasonably quickly (maybe the first couple of weeks in a new job isn't the best time, though!) but it's probably going to be at least a couple of hours at the start & finish of every day, depending on your speed and how long it takes you to cool down,shower, eat (you'll be doing a lot of eating, take it from me!) etc.

Cheers,
    W.
  • Drfabulous0
    Thanks for the advice guys, I'm still undecided about the journey tomorrow, if it's peeing it down it will be difficult to get to the station with my bike without getting soaked. It seems the most practical way to do it would be to cycle to Manchester on a rat bike and catch the train from there. The distance doesn't concern me, it's the time away from the family in the evening that's the issue, but it looks like it would be practical enough to split the journey, so maybe testing the route won't be necessary. Now where did I put those Goretex trousers?
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    25 miles sounds like a long way to ride each way, every day. Depending on route, traffic lights etc. you must be looking at 90 minutes each way, at least (and that at a fairly nippy 18mph average, ignoring p*nctures etc.). I think it would take a lot of dedication and motivation to do that.

(Disclaimer: I'm biased against long commutes, having just jacked in my job because it takes me 90-120 minutes to get to and from Salford each day, with my bike-train-bike routine).
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • msmancunia
    msmancunia Posts: 1,415
    Agent57 wrote:
    25 miles sounds like a long way to ride each way, every day. Depending on route, traffic lights etc. you must be looking at 90 minutes each way, at least (and that at a fairly nippy 18mph average, ignoring p*nctures etc.). I think it would take a lot of dedication and motivation to do that.

(Disclaimer: I'm biased against long commutes, having just jacked in my job because it takes me 90-120 minutes to get to and from Salford each day, with my bike-train-bike routine).

Leaving? Shame it's such a long commute. Anything good to move to?
    Commute: Chadderton - Sportcity
  • Agent57
    msmancunia wrote:

Yeah, leaving. :( Took me quite a while to make my mind up, because I love working in Children's. But that commute... especially when the trains are late, cancelled, crammed... The new job is 2 miles from home, which is "too close" in terms of getting a decent ride in - but at least I will be able to go the long way there or back! I'm hoping it's going to be good... young company, so there's a bit of risk that it might go titsup.com, but there's also potential.

If it doesn't work out, I'll approach Auntie cap in hand, and ask them to take me back. ;)
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    Agent57 wrote:
    ... The new job is 2 miles from home, which is "too close" in terms of getting a decent ride in - but at least I will be able to go the long way there or back! .......
    When I had a commute that short I always did straight in and long road home.
    Arriving cool and fresh but awake from a wee leg spinner and air in the lungs was nice.
    Straight home if the weather is miserable and 50+ miles when the sun shines - bliss! :P
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • Agent57
    daviesee wrote:
    Agent57 wrote:
    ... The new job is 2 miles from home, which is "too close" in terms of getting a decent ride in - but at least I will be able to go the long way there or back! .......
    When I had a commute that short I always did straight in and long road home.
    Arriving cool and fresh but awake from a wee leg spinner and air in the lungs was nice.
    Straight home if the weather is miserable and 50+ miles when the sun shines - bliss! :P

Yep, I used to do that too (although maybe not 50 miles). However, my daughter was distraught when she found out I'd still be in the house when she gets up, harrassing her to get up, get dressed, brush her hair, brush her teeth, etc. I think she'll be happier if I still leave quite early; but then I'll have an hour to kill, so finding a nice 10-15 mile route in might work well. =)
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Agent57 wrote:

Really? I was going to wander over to Bridge House and get round to introducing myself.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • msmancunia
    Agent57 wrote:
    msmancunia wrote:

Yeah, leaving. :( Took me quite a while to make my mind up, because I love working in Children's. But that commute... especially when the trains are late, cancelled, crammed... The new job is 2 miles from home, which is "too close" in terms of getting a decent ride in - but at least I will be able to go the long way there or back! I'm hoping it's going to be good... young company, so there's a bit of risk that it might go titsup.com, but there's also potential.

If it doesn't work out, I'll approach Auntie cap in hand, and ask them to take me back. ;)

There's nothing as soul destroying as getting a Northern Rail train to work. It did get me back on my bike in sheer frustration at being constantly late or stranded though so useful for something. Miss the Beeb lots (although not my boss one bit) but here is pretty good too. Hope the new job goes well! :)
  • msmancunia
    Asprilla wrote:
    Agent57 wrote:

Really? I was going to wander over to Bridge House and get round to introducing myself.

Lol - you should do! It only took me eighteen months :)
  • Agent57
    Asprilla wrote:
    Agent57 wrote:

:shock: (maybe I just don't pay attention)

You've got 2 weeks... ;)
  • Agent57 wrote:

i find it ok, do around 46 miles a day with a train ride in the middle, if im on the late shift then its 42 mile commute in and then another 20 back, the legs get a bit tired, but they just need training up for the distance, so it is quite doable
    Sorry its not me it's the bike ;o)

Strava Dude link http://www.strava.com/athletes/amander
    Commuting, Domestic & Pleasure : Specialized Sectuer Sport Disc

Please Sponsor http://www.justgiving.com/alister-manderfield1